Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a factory roof rack on my '99 OBS, and I'm looking to get some sort of bike rack for the top of the car (I have disk brakes on my bike, so I am kinda limited in my choices). I have always really liked Yakima racks (mainly because I don't know of many other brands, but also because they have attachments to fit just about any vehicle). I would like to keep my factory side rails but would like to see if it would be possible to replace the factory cross bars with a Yakima bar system. Does anyone know if that's possible? If I buy the Q towers/clips that completely removes the need to have the stock roof rails, which I would rather not do. What are my options for Yakima or another company? I have gone through the "rack configurator" on Yakima's homepage, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
I just picked up a Rocky Mounts Noose. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it has a wide plate at the front to distrubute the weight of the bike on the factory bars.

I'll throw the bike on and take it for a spin on the interstate to see how the crossbars hold up.

EDIT: I also noticed that they have a disc brake adapter on the site.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
"I would like to keep my factory side rails but would like to see if it would be possible to replace the factory cross bars with a Yakima bar system. Does anyone know if that's possible? "

Yes, absolutely. I have a set that I have used on my 99 Legacy with factory rails. I just removed the factory cross bars and replaced them with the Yakima cross bars. Or you could just add the aftermarket and leave the factory xbars too. Up to you. I don't recall what mine are called but I just checked the Yakima site and I believe what you will want is the Lowrider. I can't imagine why it would suggest the Q towers?

It might be better to go to a bike/outdoor shop and check it all out than checking online. They will have a fitment book that tells you exactly what you need and what will work on your vehicle. Regardless, I know for sure it can be done, and safely. I carry a canoe on top of our Legacy with those xbars on it all the time.

I also "think" Subaru has OEM stuff like bike carriers, etc. but I am not sure. It is probably more expensive than Yakima, Thule and the like. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hvlwnc said:
I just picked up a Rocky Mounts Noose. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it has a wide plate at the front to distrubute the weight of the bike on the factory bars.
Yep, that's actually one of the bike racks I was looking at buying. RockyMounts is located in Boulder, CO, which is about 10 miles from my house, so I've been meaning to head up there one of these days and check it out.

Let me know how you like yours...I'm really interested!! :D

BlueRidgeImprezas said:
"I would like to keep my factory side rails but would like to see if it would be possible to replace the factory cross bars with a Yakima bar system. Does anyone know if that's possible? "

Yes, absolutely. I have a set that I have used on my 99 Legacy with factory rails. I just removed the factory cross bars and replaced them with the Yakima cross bars. Or you could just add the aftermarket and leave the factory xbars too. Up to you. I don't recall what mine are called but I just checked the Yakima site and I believe what you will want is the Lowrider. I can't imagine why it would suggest the Q towers?

It might be better to go to a bike/outdoor shop and check it all out than checking online. They will have a fitment book that tells you exactly what you need and what will work on your vehicle. Regardless, I know for sure it can be done, and safely.
Actually, it turns out that I *can't* use lowriders. They just aren't compatible with the '99 OBS. I assume you have a '99 Legacy Wagon, right? If so, when I use the "rack configurator" on Yakima's homepage, the Lowrider is an option with that vehicle, but it's not with the '99 OBS. I even emailed Yakima Tech Support directly, and they confirmed that my only options are to get Q Towers/Clips (which will replace the factory rack), or I can buy a set of MightyMounts in order to adapt the factory rack to be used with a few of their bike racks.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Matt

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Yes, Legacy Wagon. Sorry to hear that cuz that other option is much more expensive. It must be because the bars are farther apart and the weight can be more distributed front to back too. The mightymounts might be a decent, cheap alternative if you can figure out what carriers will work with it. You could also check with Jamie at www.allsubaru.com and see if any of the OEM stuff will fit your model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 02 OBS and I went with the Thule Crossroads and bars. They are awesome. No problems and lots of options. Was able to keep the factory side rails. It just replaces the lame factory crossbars. Thule has several options for disk bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts