Subaru Outback Forums banner

Looking for some insight on gas tank range/mileage

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  NewSubaru08 
#1 ·
So when I got the car from the dealer it didn't run rough, or so I thought. I got 280 miles out of that full tank based on the range gauge. Then when I filled up I put 93 in plus some techron and by the end of the tank it ran smoother and I got 350 miles, now on my third tank the range gauge is saying 420 miles. So my question is, is it plausible that the dealership didn't use premium and/or the fuel system needed a scrubbing?

Thanks
Jerry

P.s. it's an 05 XT limited manual.

#2 ·
It is possible. The turbo requires premium and won't run well on regular if it got a tank of that.

#5 ·
Ohh good point! It was sitting there long enough for them to knock off $752 before I arrived to knock off another $1000.

As for the 350 miles its because I drive like a grandmother and all highway. Since I am out the door by 6 am I can usually set my own speed limit and not sweat if I'm causing a back up, so I will go 60 mph to work and right now the gauge is reading 25.5 avg mpg.

I love the power and I'll let loose every so often but having a wagon makes its ok to drive like an old man (I'm 27) and no one expects any different.

I filled the back up with a honda transmission 2 honda axles and a bunch of tools over the weekend and the car didn't even break a sweat. I love it!

#9 ·
I have a 06 outback wgn XT and I am only getting about 13 miles to the gallon. Can you give me some suggestions where to start. I don't have a lead foot and live in the city. I bought the car from a dealer in Dec 2012. I have been driving cautiously to get an accurate mpg number and I keep coming up with only about 12.3 to 13.5 ?
Please help !

Thx
Aaron

#11 ·
12 is definitely off the scale low. If you're mechanically inclined, I'd start with the basics and go from there... plugs, filters. Are you using 91 or 92 for fuel? Any underlying mechanical issues (does it idle ok, does it produce solid power throughout the rev band? Any CEL issues?

#12 ·
ACSubbie,

Please do not post the same thing in multiple threads. Once will get you answers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.