Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gen 3 Outback 2.5i 4EAT LL Bean, Full Navigation
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just found this forum and there seems to be a lot of good info around here so I joined.:smile2:

Anyway I've lately been looking into getting a car to replace two others (not only do I summer and winter tires for my cars, I have summer and winter cars). I really like my Dodge Grand Caravan AWD, it's been a great vehicle but the gas mileage is not that good at an average of 16mpg plus my wife is not that comfortable driving it due to less visibility. My little Honda Civic on the other hand gets great gas mileage sometimes as much as 40mpg but it's useless for 6 months in the winter especially on our 2 mile less than ideally maintained driveway.

A Subaru Outback seems to be the best choice of all the vehicles I've researched and I've narrowed it down to mid to late Gen 2 to Gen 3 as a good fit for budget and function. This decision has been a little bit of a challenge for me because back in the late 80's I worked on these cars as an ASE Automotive tech when I owned my own auto repair shop. I didn't think they were bad cars back then just didn't like working on them. I'll be doing some or most of my own work but I'm not setup to do as much as I once did.

So I'll be looking into best years, H4 vs H6, features, trims and general problem areas, etc. Some good info around here and looking forward to perusing your site. It's nice to have support and I appreciate the link to the factory service manuals. I've downloaded a few to look through.

I think you folks also have something called a search function that I might try using. I hope it works good.>:):x

And lastly, any feedback as to a direction I should take in my future purchase would be certainly welcome.

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,134 Posts
Welcome; it sounds as though you are well-prepared to make a wise purchase!

I think you folks also have something called a search function that I might try using. I hope it works good.
It works pretty well, as does Google from outside the forum. Both are terrifically under-utilized, IMHO, so you're starting out on the right foot here!

And lastly, any feedback as to a direction I should take in my future purchase would be certainly welcome.
Many of us here, me included, are very partial to Gen 3.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
If you can afford it the later 3rd Gens face lifted are the best - better than Gen 2s (had one also) see signiture below
Gen 2s and early Gen 3s are aging and getting dated also - unless you can find a really good one.

·
Registered
2007 Gen 3 Outback 2.5i 4EAT LL Bean, Full Navigation
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

Gen 3 would be my preference. There are a fair amount to choose from up here, I seem to be in Subaru country (probably for good cause). I am going to be picky though with features and trim so I need to familiarize myself with available options. Winter snowy and icy driving will be my main focus. Hopefully by spring/early summer I will have figured out what I want and maybe, just maybe find one I can afford. I hate to give up my nice 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD but time to move on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts