Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and have been lurking around and reading the new posts as they come out because I'm looking at the new Outback XT. I was all fired up about getting one because I want all-wheel drive and a manual transmission. Trying to be sensible, but keep that feel of a sports car I guess. Anyway, I was finally able to get in one at the Pittsburgh auto show this past weekend and I'm a little bummed about the seating. Of course they weren't going to be a good feel because they're all power and the batteries were disconnected. But the seats feel hard in my opinion. I spend a lot of time in my car, 45 mins to and from work and approximately 7 hours to Pittsburgh and back to visit the family. Have any of you taken your OB on long trips yet? How comfortable were the seats on the rear? It probably sounds petty but I want something comfortable. I have a Honda Prelude now and it's great for short trips but long drives are hard on the neck and the tush. The next car I buy I want to be comfortable. Any input is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
665 Posts
Within 3 days of picking up my '05 XT, I took it on a 4 day, 1000 mile trip to Stonington, Maine from NJ. Seats felt fine to me, although I wished for an adjustable seat bottom length. The seat bottom seems a little short sometimes and I miss the adjustable length seat bottom in my BMW that I had. The seats do feel harder than the leather seats in my BMW but I didn't think they were overly hard. Of course, that is just my opinion though.

Jay

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site.

Most people find the XT seats to be fine. I personally also thought they were too hard and even bought a couple of gel cushions. However, after about 2,000 miles the seats seemed to have soften up a bit and now I don't use the cushions anymore.

The seat are not up to the comfort of a Volvo, but they are decent.

There is also a guy on another forum that went to an upholstery shop and got an inch of soft foam added in the seats.

So if you like the car, I wouldn't let that discourgae you. If you really find them uncomfortable after a couple of months, you can get the problem fixed relatively cheap.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I'm probably the wrong guy to give advice on this topic, given that I like hard seats to begin with, and the leather seats in the XT ltd for me is a step up from my Volvo 850.

I do take 600 mile round trips to Rochester every month, and I never have had a complaint--nor has my wife (except maybe her having to spend 10 hours in a car with me).

Anyhow, welcome to the board! The XT is a wonderful overall package.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so far for the input on the seating. What I need to do is test drive one. That way I can see if I like how it drives and Then I'll actually be able to adjust the seats to where I like them which will probably help a bit.

Sean

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Mudge said:
I'm probably the wrong guy to give advice on this topic, given that I like hard seats to begin with, and the leather seats in the XT ltd for me is a step up from my Volvo 850.

Wow, for once I completely disagree with you Mudge.

I also had a Volvo 850 and it had wonderful seats. I drove up to 14 hours at a time in them and never experienced any discomfort. The first time I took a 2 hour drive in my XT my butt hurt!

Volvo is actually considered the industry standard for seat comfort.

Anyway, it goes to show that seat preference is a very personal thing!

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
sduford said:
Wow, for once I completely disagree with you Mudge.

I also had a Volvo 850 and it had wonderful seats. I drove up to 14 hours at a time in them and never experienced any discomfort. The first time I took a 2 hour drive in my XT my butt hurt!

Volvo is actually considered the industry standard for seat comfort.

Anyway, it goes to show that seat preference is a very personal thing!
Like I say, I'm the weird guy. I can't sit on any sofa for more than ten minutes before I begin to ache. I prefer hardback presidential rockers and a wood dining room chair to anything upholstered.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I initially had the same response -- that the seats were too hard. However, approx 3000 mi later, I find them quite comfortable. I have not taken any long road trips, however.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
rgombine said:
I initially had the same response -- that the seats were too hard. However, approx 3000 mi later, I find them quite comfortable. I have not taken any long road trips, however.
Yes they definitely soften up some after a little while!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing