Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a car for my partner who is a disabled veteran and we live on a pretty small budget.

Currently I am in the process of working on my 2002 LL Bean Outback which recently had a head gasket replacement. I'm rebuilding the brakes, fixing bushings, rust, etc. (work in progress)

My partner's 2000 Hyundai Elantra runs fine but needs work (power steering hoses, belts, valve cover gasket) and he'd rather put money into repairing a Subaru which has more cargo capacity and all wheel drive.
We are also planning another cross country move in about a year, so a Subaru would be better. We may be able to work out a trade and offer the Hyundai for a Subaru.

We're looking to adopt a 4 cyl, non-turbo, 2nd Generation Outback, preferably with a head gasket replacement somewhere in its recent past. We cannot afford to pay much, but we will give the car a good home and strive to give it what it needs. We plan to take the cars out of the salt country too. I know it's a long shot but thought I'd mention it here. If anyone has such a car they'd like to part with, please message me to discuss. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
I think you should consider expanding the search to Foresters as well.

check with any local soob-friendly repair shops, they may have a customer that is considering selling.

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he might consider that possibility.
And thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM message sent.
Hello komuso. I did not get a PM, so I sent one to you.
The PM feature may not work for the newest members, so if you don't
get it please let me know.

Maybe we can work out another way to communicate. Thank you and best wishes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @komuso. I looked at your other post and if the H6 VDC is what you had in mind, unfortunately we are not open to another H6 at this time.

We're looking for a 4cyl, preferably one that has gone over the old head gasket hump somewhere in the last 50,000 miles.
I do wish you the best in finding a home for that car. The Generation 2 H6s are still very popular. The dealership where I got mine says they don't stay on the lot very long before they're snatched up. You may want to start it and clean it up a little, see if it still runs and stops.
That might help you to get a good home for it.

·
Registered
02 OBW 2.5 and 2012 OBW 2.5
71 Posts
I'm looking for a car for my partner who is a disabled veteran and we live on a pretty small budget.

Currently I am in the process of working on my 2002 LL Bean Outback which recently had a head gasket replacement. I'm rebuilding the brakes, fixing bushings, rust, etc. (work in progress)

My partner's 2000 Hyundai Elantra runs fine but needs work (power steering hoses, belts, valve cover gasket) and he'd rather put money into repairing a Subaru which has more cargo capacity and all wheel drive.
We are also planning another cross country move in about a year, so a Subaru would be better. We may be able to work out a trade and offer the Hyundai for a Subaru.

We're looking to adopt a 4 cyl, non-turbo, 2nd Generation Outback, preferably with a head gasket replacement somewhere in its recent past. We cannot afford to pay much, but we will give the car a good home and strive to give it what it needs. We plan to take the cars out of the salt country too. I know it's a long shot but thought I'd mention it here. If anyone has such a car they'd like to part with, please message me to discuss. Thank you!
i have one i will sell for 1650
headgaskets were JUST done on a replacement engine. it runs, drives great.
new parts in past 3 weeks
used engine, new t belt water pump, rollers, tension er, hoses, plugs, wires, resealed with new rear main and valve cover gaskets. Felpro blue head gaskets. New brakes all around
ac and heat work great.
great tires.

replaced the rear subframe two tears ago with new unit

I have another car(manual) i just bought so i can sell this. It's an Automatic

Has 230k on body, engine is much less

has a little rust on the rear archs, normal for a jersey car.
I am in sussex county

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
sounds like a deal....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have one i will sell for 1650
headgaskets were JUST done on a replacement engine. it runs, drives great.
new parts in past 3 weeks
used engine, new t belt water pump, rollers, tension er, hoses, plugs, wires, resealed with new rear main and valve cover gaskets. Felpro blue head gaskets. New brakes all around
ac and heat work great.
great tires.

replaced the rear subframe two tears ago with new unit

I have another car(manual) i just bought so i can sell this. It's an Automatic

Has 230k on body, engine is much less

has a little rust on the rear archs, normal for a jersey car.
I am in sussex county
Sounds interesting. What year is it?
That price is fairly steep for us, but if you'd be willing to work out a payment arrangement we might be game, under the right circumstances.
Do you have a photo of it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a deal....
It does. *sigh* It does...
But our budget is so very small. That's why I couldn't rightly call this a WTB, it's really an adoption offer of an adoption fee.

We're offering a loving home.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
It does. *sigh* It does...
But our budget is so very small. That's why I couldn't rightly call this a WTB, it's really an adoption offer of an adoption fee.

We're offering a loving home.
Oh...Now I see what you mean...Now I get it.

My apologies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh...Now I see what you mean...Now I get it.

My apologies.
No problem.
I know the right kind of car and situation that I'm looking for is really a needle in a haystack, but then if you never ask you never know, right?

We still have the option of fixing up the Hyundai and will probably still do that.

·
Registered
02 OBW 2.5 and 2012 OBW 2.5
71 Posts
Sounds interesting. What year is it?
That price is fairly steep for us, but if you'd be willing to work out a payment arrangement we might be game, under the right circumstances.
Do you have a photo of it?
i wish i could do payments but i would need to use the $ to buy a newer one

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wish i could do payments but i would need to use the $ to buy a newer one
I understand completely. No problem. I hope you do find a buyer and a good home for your car. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.