Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to this forum, thanks for all the great info.

I am looking to buy an outback 04-06 (it's within my budget) manual or auto, 4 or 6cylinder (depends if its a good deal)

Can someone please help me with some information i need?

1. It seems in these years for the manual there are pre-mature clutch failure problems, (under120k's) how common is this? that seems fairly early for a clutch to go?

2. I will be towing a boat about 850kg loaded, should i go manual or auto? My old 2003 4cyl cr-v auto towed it easily.

3. I am about 186cm (6ft 2") with long legs, I read drivers seat can be tight?

4. are there any other common mechanical issues to look out for in these year models?

ofcourse i will be looking to see if Timing belt was changed at 100,000km's for the 4cyl.

My main concern is actually the clutch for the manual, it seems to be fairly common for premature wear/failure, some sort of factory fault.

help will be appreciated, i hope to buy one soon, and be part of the outback community.

Thanks

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,367 Posts
Hi
I am new to this forum, thanks for all the great info.

I am looking to buy an outback 04-06 (it's within my budget) manual or auto, 4 or 6cylinder (depends if its a good deal)

Can someone please help me with some information i need?

1. It seems in these years for the manual there are pre-mature clutch failure problems, (under120k's) how common is this? that seems fairly early for a clutch to go?

2. I will be towing a boat about 850kg loaded, should i go manual or auto? My old 2003 4cyl cr-v auto towed it easily.

3. I am about 186cm (6ft 2") with long legs, I read drivers seat can be tight?

4. are there any other common mechanical issues to look out for in these year models?

ofcourse i will be looking to see if Timing belt was changed at 100,000km's for the 4cyl.

My main concern is actually the clutch for the manual, it seems to be fairly common for premature wear/failure, some sort of factory fault.

help will be appreciated, i hope to buy one soon, and be part of the outback community.

Thanks
1. I've only had 1 Subaru with a manual trans, seemed like the clutch lasted a normal span, I first detected a slip at around 120,000 miles (193k KM) The surprise was that when it went, nearly every part of it needed to be replaced, including the master cyl.

2. No worries towing that load. Technically it is just over the weight where Subaru recommends trailer brakes, but you're well within the overall spec. No towing concerns with either transmission. Get the one you'd rather drive. If it happens to be an automatic, consider an extra trans cooler as you would with any other tow vehicle.

3. I'm closer to 6'4" and I fit fine. If anything, the passengers' seat has less legroom. I swear that seat won't go as far back. I am uncomfortable in the back seat unless I put someone short up front and have them run the seat up.

4. Head Gaskets! 4-cyl outbacks have problems with leaking head gaskets. Not every car has the problem, but it isn't rare either. Check for leaks & coolant levels before you buy, ask questions etc. Not an issue on turbo or 6-cyl cars.

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks rasterman, wasn't headgasket issue sort of fixed from 04 onwards, well atleast for the forester it was, people were getting no where near as many issues from 04+ non turbo?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,367 Posts
It does feel like the incidence rate is down, but I'm still seeing reports of failed HGs on 2007-8 models and I expect to keep seeing it on newer ones as they age.

I don't have access to any official data, so it is just a hunch. I think the newer ones are better, but maybe not all the way better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts