Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking into buying a 02 LL Bean edition for my 16 year old daughter. I came across one that's seems very reasonable, $2500 with 110k miles. Drives very well. Looks good. I like the AWD and Subaru's reputation for reliability and safety.
But after I left the place where I was going to buy it, I heard the LL Bean requires premium gas. I've looked at some of the forums here and it's hard to tell if it's required or recommended. Some say they've ran regular and it's fine. Some say you should stick to premium.
Also I've heard, just from friends and honestly I don't know where they heard it, it's more costly to repair a Subaru. Due to hard to find parts and parts cost more. Any truth to that?
So far I like the Outback, I just don't want to get something that is going to cost a lot to run and maintain.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
It says recommended on the gas door. As someone who happens to own a 2002 Bean, you wanna run premium. Mal runs like a dog on regular, can tell timing is being pulled.

The H6 engine has few typical common failure points. Most common are pulleys for the accessory belts and valve cover gaskets. Both mostly age/mile related failure. Likely to leak from the oil cooler gasket as it gets old. If suspension is original at 15+ years old, plan on needing it soon.

Tires must always match in wear and all for any AWD vehicle.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
02 LL Bean is the H6 right?

I always run premium in my 03 H6. It will run on regular, but there will be reduced performance and some people say reduced mileage so - it sorta becomes a wash. A user here in the past (cardoc - a mechanic) claimed more carbon buildup in the cylinders with regular.

look at the sticky threads at the top of the Gen 2 forum for some ideas of known issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, I'm looking into buying a 02 LL Bean edition for my 16 year old daughter. I came across one that's seems very reasonable, $2500 with 110k miles. Drives very well. Looks good. I like the AWD and Subaru's reputation for reliability and safety.
But after I left the place where I was going to buy it, I heard the LL Bean requires premium gas. I've looked at some of the forums here and it's hard to tell if it's required or recommended. Some say they've ran regular and it's fine. Some say you should stick to premium.
Also I've heard, just from friends and honestly I don't know where they heard it, it's more costly to repair a Subaru. Due to hard to find parts and parts cost more. Any truth to that?
So far I like the Outback, I just don't want to get something that is going to cost a lot to run and maintain.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.
(If this looks familiar, I posted this in the General Discussion forum also before I realized there was specific model forums)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an LL Bean we ran it on regular unleaded with no issues until the motor gave out (not anything of the motor's mechanical fault). The EZ30 tends to run a little on the lean side any how due to it's tuning, so if you start having pre-det issues, step up to mid-grade. The service manual says that it recommends 95 RON (89 Octane) for maximum spark ignition angle, but the ECU does a great job in conjunction with the knock sensor to compensate for that.

As far as serviceability, the engines are one of the most reliable motors Subaru made, sans the old EJ22. Parts are found relatively easy, Subaru regularly keeps them in stock, just don't expect to find many "go fast" parts for it. I've not had an issue during my rebuild/swap getting the parts I needed for a repair. Just remember when shopping for parts that, for the most part, the 2.5 Outback =/= 3.0 Outback in terms of parts. Subaru overdeveloped the LL Bean with bigger brakes, beefier suspension, bigger sway bars, different exhaust, different transmission (though the bellhousing bolt pattern will adapt to other transmissions).

Make sure the owner has service records. The serpentine tensioner is a common failure point. Won't cause damage to the engine if it fails, but it will leave you stranded as it's a true serpentine belt and gives you power steering, ac, and alternator on one belt. There is also concerns for timing chain guides failing . When they start to go, it sounds like someone dragging a bike chain across a table. There's a whole thread here for that: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...8-3-0-h6-timing-chain-guide-discussion-2.html

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
I look at it this way, I get my premium gas from Costco, where it is only $.30/gal more, and I would rather pay $.30/gal than pay for a blown head gasket. My 191K '00 looks the same inside as it did in 2002. Subaru has VERY durable interiors, just as it does running gear. A good maintained Subaru will be down far less than most other makes, excepting the 2.5L from this generation.

·
Registered
Silver: 2009 Subaru Outback Limited Edition, 2.5 Liter EJ25, Automatic. Gem: 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition, 3.0 liter EZ30D, Automatic
207 Posts
Hello. I've owned a 2002 LL Bean for about 5 years now. It had about the same amount of miles on it when I bought it. It was very reliable and low maintenance until this, the year of her quinceanera. There was a head gasket leak which ended up costing as much as that car you are looking at. I felt the car was worth the reinvestment, so after owning one for five years would I buy it again? Yes, and I have. If this car you are thinking about has that issue it would end up costing about 5,000, which still isn't bad for a car with these features in renewed condition.

I live in the eastern snow belt, so my car needs a recoating of rust protective at this point, the original is flaking off. If I get to it in time, there is plenty there worth preserving. I'm in the process of rebuilding my brakes right now, new calipers, etc. They get a lot of salt exposure. So far only "major" suspension issue has been the bushings in my rear control arm lateral upper link (or whatever it's called) but I've got the bushings and having them pressed in soon. The other bushings seemed okay on my last inspection and most things look pretty solid. I did replace a front axle and tie rod about two years ago, but it wasn't a terribly expensive repair, about $300ish.

The Subaru handles beautifully (when the bushings aren't squeaking and making a racket) while the Toyotas I've had feel like go-carts in comparison. Also, I feel much safer in a Subaru. It's more solid than economy cars, like Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundai, etc.

I feed my car the 91 octane generally. Sometimes it's not available and I have to go higher or lower, usually higher. After the head gasket replacement the car seems to be getting better gas mileage.

Does your daughter intend to tow a boat or a trailer? Is she going away to college and needs something to haul with? Is she a super safe driver who appreciates cars, or more of a regular teenager? (The H6 does like to go, if you know what I mean.) If she'd like the safety and AWD of a Subaru but doesn't need the extra power and would rather have a car that's cheaper to fuel she might want to go with the 4cyl.

My past experience has been with Toyotas, the last one I had was a 92 that I kept on the road until it was 22 years old. It needed regular things, brakes, mufflers, alternators starters, head gasket, tie rods, etc. throughout its life. So far the Subaru is still pretty cost effective, and now that I'm checking it out more and doing things to fix it, it should remain so.

·
Registered
2002 OBW LL Bean
54 Posts
One additional thing to be aware of is that if a tire gets a flat or needs to be replaced, the other 3 tires need to be replaced at the same time.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
One additional thing to be aware of is that if a tire gets a flat or needs to be replaced, the other 3 tires need to be replaced at the same time.
sometimes it's the best choice, but there can be options; use FWD fuse, put 2 new-but-matching tires on opposite corners of older-but-matching tires or have a new tire shaved down to match the older 3.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Depends how much tread is left on the other tires.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LLBean Wagon
26 Posts
As a 20 year old college student i will tell you my experience with it.

The 2002 Subaru Outback is the car you get when you want a SUV but dont want all the crap that comes with SUV ownership like poor handling and crap MPGs. Most people my age dont take very kindly to the outback at 1st because of common misconception of the outback being a family car, However its usefullness and quirkiness eventually win people over. The car likes to be driven gently and what i mean by that is that it doesnt like to be thrown around like a honda civic or accord or any cheap 2 door ford or chevy from the same era. If your daughter doesn't already like the outback you might find that she resents its preference for premium gas and poor milage when driven harshly. If she is to archieve any sort of decent fuel economy (which she eventually will due to the premium gas) she must Cruise controll at 65 70 mph. She will end up loving the car if she is adventurous as the subaru excels at this lifestyle or drives in harsh conditions on a regular basis. If she only wants a car for college i would recommend a Toyota corolla, if she likes the car or is considering a small suv or even a truck i would recomend the outback

1 - 13 of 13 Posts