Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Forester is getting long in the tooth. its got some ways to go yet so my son will get to inherit it. Looking to replace it with a 2013 OB. Now, I change my own oil. How is it to change oil on these 2013 OBs. Do they use traditional oil filters? Is it readily accessable or do i have to remove a panel or do do something inconvenient? On the forester i just took off that undershield and left it off for the past 12 years, no problem. I would appreciate some of your experiences in this matter.

Looking at the selection of options in the outback there seems to be so many gadgets that i dont care for. heated seats? I never figured on needing those. These cars warm up quite well after the first few miles even at 20 below 0. Heated wipers? I never wouldve imagined. I am beginning to think these are patsy wagons:) for elderly women (age 70 and up)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My 2001 Forester is getting long in the tooth. its got some ways to go yet so my son will get to inherit it. Looking to replace it with a 2013 OB. Now, I change my own oil. How is it to change oil on these 2013 OBs. Do they use traditional oil filters? Is it readily accessable or do i have to remove a panel or do do something inconvenient? On the forester i just took off that undershield and left it off for the past 12 years, no problem. I would appreciate some of your experiences in this matter.

Looking at the selection of options in the outback there seems to be so many gadgets that i dont care for. heated seats? I never figured on needing those. These cars warm up quite well after the first few miles even at 20 below 0. Heated wipers? I never wouldve imagined. I am beginning to think these are patsy wagons:) for elderly women (age 70 and up)
2013 has the all new ground up engine design - oil filter sits ontop of the engine doesn't get any easier than that. Get a premium with the basic winter package that sounds like the match for you. Basic no frills just the stuff 99% of the stuff most people want. Subaru is actually one of the last auto makers to make very basic no frills cars so if you think the subarus are fancy you'll have a hard time with any of the other makers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input Subiesailor. I did purchase the 2013 outback. I also considere the 2013 CRV, 2010 CRV and a 2010 Nissan Rogue. I actually liked the Rogue better than the CRV but decided I wanted that full time AWD that Subaru has. The CRVs had lower ground clearance and smaller towing capacity, so i was disappointed with that honda metric as well. How do 2 cars with the same approx engine size and HP, differ so widely in towing capacity, I wonder.
I am still befuddled by all the shiny trim and electronic gadgets in the Basic model Outback. I feel like I am driving a Buick and we know Buicks are for old folks ;^) who like to be pampered. But this Outback performs admirably in the snow conditions today. I drove past a minor accident today where a 4x4 truck and 4x4 Jeep were in the ditch, I suspect because the 4x4 doesnt adjust quickly enough to sudden changes in road conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts