Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forums in anticipation of buying a fourth generation Outback.

This will be my commuter - 850 miles a week at 77 mph - as well as a tow vehicle for a 17-foot sailboat (about 1,000) pounds. Next spring, will be looking for a popup camper (no more than 2,000) pounds to pull on weekend trips and maybe a couple of weeks cross country.

Since I haven't owned a Subaru since a 1984 Justy (there's a blast from the past), I'm wondering if the experts here have any guidance on what to watch out for as I'm kicking tires.

Given my budget, probably looking at 2011-12 with less than 100,000 miles on it.

Thanks for you help, and I hope I won't be seeing you in the repair forums!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
justy for the USDM = 87-94, and I use to drive a 88 2wd a whole lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy#United_States ,

...did you live somewhere else to get a 84?

_____

I think to be pulling around a 2000# popup you should have a 2010-14 3.6 model,.
.. this gives sufficient hp / torque, and the beautiful 5EAT,

and not the CVT with the extended warranty,... (2010-15)

paired with the last of the EJ253 of 2010-12

or newer FB25B engine = that also may have a exented warranty for oil issues (13-15).

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
900 Posts
As recommended above, get the 3.6R mated to the 5EAT. That combination will provide your best chance of avoiding transmission failures over the long haul. I did my research in 2015 and drew the same conclusion before purchasing our 3.6R in early November 2015. Nothing but routine maintenance since I purchased it, and I took the time to chase down the service history before pulling the trigger on it.

As additional transmission insurance protection, do an ATF drain-and-fill every 30,000 miles. It is an easy DIY job requiring 4.5 to 5 quarts of the appropriate ATF that will cost you about $35 total. Well worth the time, effort, and expense.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
50 Posts
The 6 cyl and 5EAT is the way to go for towing on highways. Extra HP and transmission kickdown are nice to have when you want or NEED it. I haul a golf cart with trailer all over the east coast with no worries. At 135K miles, transmission/engine just as good as the first day it rolled off the lot. Change ATF+diffs every 30K, oil every 5K. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts