Subaru Outback Forums banner

Looking to buy a OBS

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CPToversteer 
#1 ·
Greets all,

I'm returning from my overseas assignment (air force) and I'm looking to get a Outback Sport when I get home.

I have my eye on a 1998, but it has 150K miles on it. The price is great, but the mileage makes me think twice.

I know every car will be different, but in general...

1. How is the reliability with the 1998 OBS's?
2. Are there any specific problems with that model year?
3. Is there anything in particular I should look for before really considering a car with this many miles?

I know this is a really general question, but having never owned a Subaru (but only hear great things about them), I wanted to get a heads up before I get home and start looking.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
Biggest thing I'd watch out for on a 98 is piston slap and wheel bearing issues. I'd also be sure that it's had all of it's servicing done, i.e. timing belt, etc.

I've got a 96 w/ 197k on it and she still runs like a champ. But she's also been maintained very well, so take it for what it's worth.

--Josh

#4 ·
Yeah, the older a car is the more it's present condition and maintainnence history are than the model's problem rate. try to pick a good one, get it checked out, then just deal with whatever comes up. There's not a lot that can happen to a used car that can't be fixed for the equivalent of a few new car payments!

edit Oh yeah, if it'e a 4EAT, check or have it checked for 'torque bind'. The duty C solenoid or clutch pack could be bad. Drive in tight circles/figure eights and feel/listen for grabbing/jerking. Make sure the FWD fuse has not been slipped into the slot in the box under the hood to 'hide' torque bind problems. Look at the tires and see if one/some are different size - rough on the center diff.

#5 ·
It's been a long time since the last post... but i just came across this thread now.
I have a 97 OBS that has spent almost it's whole life up in the harsh, cold, snowy/icy northern Vermont and southern New Hampshire winters. They throw down salt on the roads up here like crazy. I've only owned my car for about a year and a half, and the only real issue I've had with it has been in the back left wheel bearing. When I took it in to get it fixed, they decided to do the 90,000 mile service on it as well (it only has 78,000 on it right now) just because things were so dirty from the salt use.
Basically, it just needed a good service... because it had never had one before! :eek: :14: Ya, i'm not happy with the previous owners for that... They never did any of the recommened services EVER!
As far as i'm concerned, these cars are amazing! If it can go for 7 years without a major service, and only have a problem with the wheel bearings, then i think that speaks a lot about the 96-98 OBS's...
In my opinion, GREAT CARS! EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!
:2:

#9 ·
we don't need one, but we wouldn't mind one, IF subaru could figure out their gas mileage problem with their turbo cars.

the Slaab and volvo turbos genlly make within 1 mpg of the same engine w/o turbo, a feat Sub hasn't managed altho i don't think their turbos increase the hp and torque by a significantly larger % than the Slaab andvolvo cars. i love my power too, but the turboSubs are headed down the slippery slope to SUV-mpg.

you could always do like a friend does with his airplane: run the supercharger off a separate Formula 440 engine mounted elsewhere and use a long tube to feed the boost to the main engine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.