Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm looking to replace the piano black shift lever on my 2020, curious if anyone has done it that could tell me how its removed? I've looked online and through some other forums but nothing came up. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
13 Posts
Are looking to replace it with the base model cover that isn't piano black? Or something else?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,608 Posts
I don’t know how, but mine was replaced. The tech said it was easy.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
100 Posts
It is easy. Just need to pry down the trim ring on the shifter boot and pull a clip.

Using a plastic panel tool, push/slide down the collar for the flexible boot under the Shifter Knob. This exposes the U clip that holds the Shifter Knob to the shaft. The U clip can easily be slid out towards the dash with just your fingers. The Shifter Knob then comes straight up and off.

·
Registered
2020 Limited Magnetite Grey
117 Posts
Does anyone have the part # for the cover? Thought I saw it in another thread a while back, but search didn’t find it. If part is ”cheap” enough, I’d like to get one and play with xpel or similar. That way if I like it, I’d swap them. At very least, I have a replacement for down the line. Thank.👍

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have the part # for the cover? Thought I saw it in another thread a while back, but search didn’t find it. If part is ”cheap” enough, I’d like to get one and play with xpel or similar. That way if I like it, I’d swap them. At very least, I have a replacement for down the line. Thank.👍
I found a roll of 3M vinyl on Amazon for $12, just enough to cover it.
Also here is a link to the part(s) Make sure you get the one correct for your trim.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is easy. Just need to pry down the trim ring on the shifter boot and pull a clip.
Also I guess I should have been more clear, I was looking for how to remove the shift lever cover with the PRND on it, my bad.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
100 Posts
Also I guess I should have been more clear, I was looking for how to remove the shift lever cover with the PRND on it, my bad.
The whole top of the console comes off quite easy. See the linked thread on removing the wireless charger. Takes all of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
[/QUOTE]

If I’m looking at the parts list above correctly, it’s 92122F in the diagram. Subaru part # 92126AN00A. That # crosses to all versions of the 2020 Outback and also the Legacy.
Anyone see something different there? Was going to look into ordering one this week.
TIA to all for the help, Ron.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I’m looking at the parts list above correctly, it’s 92122F in the diagram. Subaru part # 92126AN00A. That # crosses to all versions of the 2020 Outback and also the Legacy.
Anyone see something different there? Was going to look into ordering one this week.
TIA to all for the help, Ron.
That part number is correct. I just ordered one online and had I'm having it shipped to my local dealer. The website had me put in my VIN to make sure I received the correct cover. If you really want to make sure that you get the right one you can always call your dealer and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you out. The folks at my dealer have always been kind.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. From what I can find, VIN shouldn’t matter as there’s only one for all 2020 models/trim levels.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok Thanks for pointing that out. Where would I be able to find the different part #’s associated with each then? Odd that they’re not listed as such.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Awesome!!! Thank you(y)(y)(y)
Definitely will want to verify those... the line drawings aren’t great... it’s really hard to tell, and the one part you linked to only shows up on the diagrams for the base trim, nothing corresponding on the other trims. The more I look the more confusing it gets.

Talking with a parts department person would help.

One way to check might be to take yours off and see if any trim pieces have part numbers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts