Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the auxiliary mod (new head unit, i85 adapter) and looking to run everything up into the upper cubby (vs. down into the console/armrest) and mount my phone there (cubbymounts.com). Might even one day customize the cubby (or replace with nav version) and get a 7" tablet behind there, but starting small with the phone.

Anyway, never really done anything like this before, but have found enough DIY material to get the new head unit in and aux stuff done.

HOWEVER, I haven't found a way to handle the power...

I don't want to run a cord from the console/armrest since that's a pain. Nor do I want to have to keep the ashtray open and have a cord dangling from there. There must be a way to get a power source from behind the head unit? Since I doubt I'll ever use the 12V power source from the ashtray... maybe somewhere disengaging that and stealing that power source? Or perhaps there is somewhere else back there I can get back power and attach my phone charger to it (or let me know if there is a specific preferred charging method, I know people who were using tablets had some sort of "inverter" but not really familiar with that).

Anyway... any and all help with this is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
If you are installing a new aftermarket radio you can tie into that wiring with no issues. You have two choices depending on if you want the power to stay on all the time (constant) or switched with the key. If you want constant then use the yellow wire from the aftermarket harness or red if you want it to cycle with the key. And of course use the black wire for the ground. You could go to any one of the 12V recepticles or even find a wire in the fuse block but I would tie into the wiring behind the radio since you will already be back there.

Depending on the tablet (though I'm not intimately familiar with all of them) some will offer some sort of 12V adapter. If that's the case I would source a female cigarette lighter adapter from an electronics parts place like radio shack and wire it the same way inside the dash as I mentioned above and hide all of the wiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help! I'm not getting aftermarket radio, it's just one for later model Outback/Legacy so should be plug and play. I hopefully will have no problems getting that to work. I'll wire it in just like my current radio, so it'll be using the red wire I guess, so it cycle with the key.

So, for the tablet (well, for a phone as of now, but similar)... I would have to find the power source to one of the 12V receptacles, disconnect it, and rewire it behind the dash into my own 12V adapter? I'd plug the phone/tablet charger into this and be good to go? All wires hidden? Would you happen to know of any DIY that show how to disconnect the wiring from a 12V receptacle and reconnect it to another one? I'd likely then just use the power source to the one within the ashtray that I never use anyway.

You also say I can use the fuse block? I'm really not familiar with how I'd get wiring from there to do this, so not sure if that's worthwhile or if the option of disconnecting the power source from the ashtray 12V receptacle and reconnecting it to a new one that's hidden behind my radio unit (then have the wire come up into the cubby) is just fine.

Thanks for help. Any additional help still appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
When you get the new radio you may have to do a little leg work to figure out what wire is the switched lead in the OEM harness. Unfortunately the OEM's don't follow the aftermarket standard for colors so you probably be looking for a color other than red (and generally a main color with a stripe). One easy way is to buy (or borrow from a local specialty shop) a harness to install an aftermarket radio so that you can figure out what wire you need and tap onto the OEM wire. That way you aren't trying to read schematics. Another way you could find it is to see if someone on here has a color code list for the radio.

I don't have a DIY for tapping into cigarette light adapter but you've got a few options. You can test for 12V at each lug in the socket, tap into each side for positive and ground and then plug it back in. You could also use the same wires that you used behind the radio as above.

Most automotive parts stores sell a "fuse tap" that adds an extra lug to tie into an existing fuse in the OEM block. I don't like the look, and in some cases it doesn't allow the cover to fit back on. In some cars like my Honda, there are a couple of constant and switched lugs in the fuse block that are recessed for OEM addons like fog lights, or other dealer added items. I usually am trying to keep things simple when I'm doing an install and if I can keep from disassembling more of the dash I will. I've used the cigarette lighter adapter in the dash a bunch for add on satellite radios, radar detectors, CB's, and what ever else someone wants something cleanly installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts