Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 outback 2.5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and nothing came up. 2013 Outback 2.5 with 3000 miles.

Just installed new wheels and tires from Costco tonight. The friendly tech called me over and showed me that both front brake rotors were kinda "loose". He said it doesn't look normal to him but he is not sure. Any ideas? I just serviced the car at dealer couple weeks ago, zero issues.

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Rotors don't have a hold down bolt so they do float some. I would think that is perfectly normal...

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Most 4x4's attach the rotor to the Axel and then the tire to the rotor.

Most cars hold on the rotor and wheel with the lug nuts for the tire.

I'm guessing you got a new guy at Costco.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
What Novablue said, there is nothing wrong. You're new rotors and hubs just haven't bonded (rusted) together yet.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Subaru rotors are not bolted on ***(see below), well, not independently bolted on anyway - they're bolted on once the wheel is bolted on the lug studs, and without the wheel are free to wobble on the studs as much as the caliper bracket allows.

*** Subaru's in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's have set screws, basically small phillips head screws that set the screws in place during the assembly process. they aren't needed nor large enough to be even remotely structural so they are often thrown away....I haven't worked on such a new Subaru yet so I'm not sure if they maybe stopped using set screws, I would be most thankful if they did since they're functionally useless and problematic.

Subaru's have on the rotor:
5 holes for the lug studs
2 threaded holes for rotor removal
2 holes for set screws, usually chamfered i believe so the screw is flush/below grade.

if you have 7 holes instead of 9, then they quite using the set screws as this picture suggests...though it is aftermarket and they're not always known to have the set screws nor removal holes either:

2005-2013 Subaru Outback Brake Rotor - Brake - Winhere, Front 05-13 Outback Brake Rotor - 18222-01051234 - PartsGeek

if you took a picture or looked for them you'd be able to tell if they were in place or not.

but most likely - Subaru just doesn't use them any more.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
I've replaced several brakes and rotors on previous vehicles and there wasn't anything holding onto the rotor except the brake caliper and tire with lug nuts.

It's normal for the rotor to wiggle some once the tire is off (especially in a new vehicle). The tech may be used to older vehicles which have the rotors seized to the wheel hub.

I created the attached image - hopefully that will help some.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Not to mention Costco tire guys in my experience are the most inexperienced at doing just about everything regarding tires. I would have a hard time not laughing at one suggesting something is wrong with a car beyond tire balance and even that would be a stretch. Given I've had to go back three times to get new tires balanced correctly then they replace all three tires they claimed they couldn't balance. I ended up at another tire shop and the tech started laughing and showed me where they put the weights. You could say they missed the mark by a mile with the balance weights didn't even locate them in the proper location on the wheel let alone in the right place to balance the tire. Given most good tire shops will price match these days I haven't been back to Costco for tires for over 8yrs. And have zero complaints about Discount Tire which has done my tires on several vehicles including my trailers.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
I haven't had a front wheel off yet, and this is my first Subaru, but on any other car I've worked on the rotor is loose with the wheel off, but is clamped to the backing plate by the wheel. I'm wondering if you have some kind of interference with the new wheels which is preventing them from seating properly. I had this problem once when putting different wheels on my Trans Am. I had to file the center hole slightly larger to get them to seat properly. Are your new wheels OEM?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I haven't had a front wheel off yet, and this is my first Subaru, but on any other car I've worked on the rotor is loose with the wheel off, but is clamped to the backing plate by the wheel. I'm wondering if you have some kind of interference with the new wheels which is preventing them from seating properly. I had this problem once when putting different wheels on my Trans Am. I had to file the center hole slightly larger to get them to seat properly. Are your new wheels OEM?
Non stock wheels have spacers on them - if the spacer is incorrect or not true this will impact the discs which are held in place with properly sized and fitted wheels.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
My BMWs have a bolt that holds the rotor to the spindle. Last night when I posted I looked at the exploded view and could clearly see they float when the lugs are off but only as far as the brake pads allow.
There is nothing wrong with your rotors!

·
Registered
13 outback 2.5
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My new wheels are not OEM, but it does not matter because the conversation happened when they took the old ones off. Thanks for all your input, I am not going to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
I thought you meant that the rotors were loose with the wheels installed. If you meant that they were loose with the wheels off, don't worry, that's normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts