Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m on a trip with some friends and am losing oil from what looks like something inside the timing cover. Not losing it super fast but enough to drip on the exhaust and make smoke. About a quart in 50 miles. Any ideas as to what it might be? Also looking for any mechanics near Cheyenne.

thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,258 Posts
Probably a cam seal if its coming from inside the timing cover. And 1 quart in 50 miles is significant, its soaking the timing belt which means the belt could break, causing engine damage. I would avoid driving it until you can confirm. Its easy to pop off the covers on either side, i would do that and verify.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't leaking on the belt but did seem like it was getting worse, so we limped it a bit then decided to haphazardly tow it to our campsite for the night. Checked the timing belt again and it was wet. Gonna try to find a shop tomorrow but not expecting much luck considering Sunday 4th of July weekend....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts