Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 subaru outback wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when i started up the brake and battery lights came on for 2 minutes then went off. now my abs light is on. Im having new battery put in as the current battery is 5 years old and worn. now my low beams and DRL wont work. checked fuses and relays. relays feel kinda warm. was told good chance its the switch on steering column. any ideas?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
842 Posts
Replace the battery before jumping to any conclusions. If the battery voltage is too low, you can't expect normal behavior out of any electrical devices.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
some of your symptoms are typical of a bad alternator, but I suppose the entire circuit was checked before deciding to replace the battery? 5 years in NC is probably pushing it. They are doing good to last 3 here in DFW area.

should be able to check for voltage on-off at the relay socket when low beams are turned on-off, not sure though.

Perhaps, when the battery was changed, a ground or other wire was broken that is common the malfunctioning devices?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah they checked the alternator charging system and battery. at that time the battery was only thing bad. went back today and they checked it and now the alternator is throwing out .76 amps when nothing is running. hopefully gonna get alternator in next couple days. would the alternator cause the low beams to not work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i checked the fuses and relays and they were good. gonna try replacing the headlight switch after i get the alternator.

·
Registered
18,732 Posts
Why do you think it's the headlight switch? Do the parking lights work when the switch is set for just the parking lights? Do the high beams work?

But if you still think the switch is faulty, why not do a simple test that can help isolate the problem, rather than throwing parts at the car in the hope that eventually, the right one will be found?

Remove one of the headlight low beam sockets, remove the bulb, and then measure at the contacts to see if there's 12+ volts at the socket when the switch is set to the headlight position (ignition key at ON).

The low beams and the DRL lights use the same bulb. If the bulb burns out, neither the low beams nor the DRL will be on.

Have you checked the bulbs? It's not unusual for one headlight bulb to burn out and not be noticed because the other is still putting out a lot of light. But when the second burns out, there's no light at the front, and this is immediately apparent.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
Have you checked the bulbs? It's not unusual for one headlight bulb to burn out and not be noticed because the other is still putting out a lot of light. But when the second burns out, there's no light at the front, and this is immediately apparent.

yep - This happened to me on a Honda once long ago.

·
Registered
2002 outback ej25 manual trans
52 Posts
check your headlamp bulb sockets if you are going to repalce the bulbs. I have had to subys where this was an issue

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts