Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low beam and fog lights have failed. All fuses are OK. High beams work fine. Legacy Outback 2003 3.0 liter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT LTD 5EAT
1,262 Posts
My guess would be a relay failed. Try swaping the low beam relay with the high beam relay. That should get your lowbeams working, but the highbeams wont.

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
don't this the wrong way...make sure you have the lights turned on... my fogs don't come on unless headlights are turned on & on low beam

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
352 Posts
In most cars, the fog light circuit is powered off the low beams. Your fogs will likely return once your low beams are operational.

On an 03, don't you still have warranty? Your dealership should be eager to fix this serious safety issue for you.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
On an 03, don't you still have warranty? Your dealership should be eager to fix this serious safety issue for you.

i'm with him. nicely point out that you're concerned not only for safety of self and family but also in terms of Sub's potential liability to OTHER drivers if a wreck were caused by either not having lights or by blinding oncoming driver. i also suspect relay but you shouldn't have to mess with it. that's why you didn't buy a 97 or 98....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all of you for your suggestions. To date, fuses and relay are intact but it appears that the daytime running light control module has failed. The note on the wiring diagram has the note:
"behind center of dash" so a $91 (approx.) part has fail but is located 4 hours of labor away!

Well, the parts on order and I have something to do between Christmas and New Years. Its too bad that this part is not with the underhood fuses and relays.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. Ed
82 Posts
...to reiterate what was just asked, do you still have any factory warranty left? Are you over miles? Is this a car with a salvage title?

I have no objection to wrenching on a car over a long weekend, I'm just surprised that you've blown the warranty already...

(this, coming from me, who's put 10000 miles on in 8 months. hah!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didn't answer your question I have 98.5 K miles. Purchased 1/2003. I drive about 1K / week. BTW this has VDC which I was told means a different wiring diagram.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
same prob

I wouldn't be suprised if I have the same problem(daytime running lt. mod.), although my factory fogs are disconnected.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
gents--

coming from the axxhole lawyer (pardon redundancy) perspective:

this is a BIG safety issue and Subie should be fixing it on a 2-3 year old car, no matter how many miles it has. nonworking headlights at 2 years is defective matls/workmanship, and it was defective from the factory. there's nothing abt mileage that will cause that item to wear out. i'd lean on them hard to cover the fix. paper them, send letters certified, return receipt requested, and cc the NHTSA, BBB, Consumers Union, your state AG, IIHS, etc. mention at length and in detail any close calls or harrowing experiences you've had as a result, esp if kids were in car (of course mention that too along with ages and # of em). if anyone else witnessed such, include a short written stmt from them, esp if they observed from another car (a neighbor or coworker??)

it wouldn't hurt to mention that at least 2 people on this list have had this problem, esp if it turns out to be the same source. and you might prospect the other Sub boards, as i'm sure that all Subs use the exact same component for this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts