Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that's plural. Fobs. Close friends of mine have a 2016 OB Limited. They also had a 2012. The wife saw my 2011 back when and asked me to help with the purchases. They are now in their early and mid eighties. Unfortunately they are not long for the road. Somewhere she lost her fob at home. The husband doesn't like to drive it (??) and put his fob away the day they brought it home and has no idea where. Several days of tossing the house and no bueno. They asked me for help.

My first call to dealer was my go-to guy Chris's day off so I took some preliminary #'s from someone else. I was told no mobile service available and would require tearing into dash and parts sent to Subaru for re-keying for about $2k. Plus yanking car out of garage for tow to dealer. Yikes. I was stunned. Either really uninformed or mobile service is fairly new.

I called Chris the next day (Maita Subaru in Sacramento). Even with a discount it wasn't pretty. List prices: 2- fobs $155ea. 2- blade emergency keys $40ea. Key cutting $160. The $160 may be key/cutting combined. Private company mobile programming/mating to car $350. Ouch. $800 ouch.

Mobile guy was good. Laptop connected to OBD port and took about 20-30 minutes. At this time guy told me if they find old fobs they are paper weights but they expect software to reset fob to new coming soon.

Moral of the story: Of all the things you want to do with your OB losing the fobs is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
"Jeannine", 2019 3.6R, retired: 2001 LLBean H6 3.0 creampuff 82.6k
50 Posts
Any idea what would it have entailed had they locked the doors before fobs were lost?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blade key can be cut without the fob at the dealer. That allows entry. Will not help if a window is down.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
936 Posts
The blade key can be cut without the fob at the dealer. That allows entry. Will not help if a window is down.
The blade key part has to come from Subaru itself now a days, we can't cut these at the dealer.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check in the car ?

I've seen some people who wear the FOB(s) around their neck on a lanyard.
In the car, under the car, around the car, in their other car and even inside the gas door. Nada. Part of the problem it was 3-4 days from the last time they drove and couldn't remember where they went. I checked inside the cloth grocery bags in the garage. Even checked the classics--freezer/fridge.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would your friends consider adding bluetooth tracker buttons to their keychains, synced to your phone, so that next time you could use your cell phone to find the fobs?
Ooooh I like the sound of that. We live 8-10 miles apart. Will my phone sync to tracker whenever I get in range?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The blade key part has to come from Subaru itself now a days, we can't cut these at the dealer.
Thanks for the info. I ordered on a Wednesday afternoon and got a call Friday am. Wherever it came from it was quick.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Would your friends consider adding bluetooth tracker buttons to their keychains, synced to your phone, so that next time you could use your cell phone to find the fobs?
My wife has a habit of misplacing her keys. She has one of the Tile key finders on her key chain and it works great. Run the app on the phone to find her keys or press a button on the Tile to find her phone.

The drawback with the key finders is they either have a rechargeable battery that one would have to remember to charge or a fixed life battery that only seems to last about a year.

I get my wife a new Tile every year as a Christmas stocking stuffer.

Reactions: JazzyOne and OBnube

·
Premium Member
"Jeannine", 2019 3.6R, retired: 2001 LLBean H6 3.0 creampuff 82.6k
50 Posts
Ooooh I like the sound of that. We live 8-10 miles apart. Will my phone sync to tracker whenever I get in range?
I think that's the way they work, although I don't know specifics. I do know that various ones are highly recommended on the Alzheimer's caregiving forums.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
I have a local locksmith who claims he can cut a blank key I got off Ebay for $7.99. I will report back in about a week.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts