Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhh, to be 16 years old and driving like no ones watching. My son, trying to drift, crashed our '00 limited into a tree doing a suspected 45+ mph. I'm very impressed with the safety of these cars. Airbags deployed, and he walked away without a scratch. The car is pretty much totaled. I suspect the frame horns pulled in. In any case, I don't have the time or gumption to repair it.

So, I scoured Craigslist and found a 2001 LL Bean for $1500. 150K miles, from Oregon. Rust Free! It's gonna need a few things worked out. Inner tie rod ends for sure. A lot of the Ltd stuff is going into the ******. $2K worth of electronics. Brand new head lights, ect.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
timing cover bust on that?

looks like a great parts car. (or maybe something to part into,???)

and I feel for you,....I use to jump my parent's subarus when I was 16. ....running on pavement to a bridge on a ultra rural road that I could try to hit going as fast as humanly possible. and maybe jump 40-50 feet of air.

many local youth saddened when they fixed the crown on that bridge making it hard to leave the pavement with the tires.....and even worse after they replaced it all together with a newer bigger box culvert,...like no raised portion of pavement there anymore. long forgotten.

I don't think I ever busted suspension parts on such endeavors, I know others in other car types did though.

______

glad the subaru and the airbags did the job to save the day,

so what member of the fleet is the boy driving now.?

and things could have been worse,...it could be winter, like in this teen boy vs. ...inertia in this thread:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/114938-wtb-2000-2004-bumper-body-panels-etc.html

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The timing cover is broken. But I stripped it down, and the engine turns with no interferance. The crank key is slightly askew. But I think it's salvagable.

The ****** is much to nice for a teenager. Plus, I told him I buy my kids 1 car. And that was it. So we're going to look at a 02 Legacy Sedan tonight. $1000. He's got the money.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
The timing cover is broken. But I stripped it down, and the engine turns with no interferance. The crank key is slightly askew. But I think it's salvagable.

The ****** is much to nice for a teenager. Plus, I told him I buy my kids 1 car. And that was it. So we're going to look at a 02 Legacy Sedan tonight. $1000. He's got the money.
want to part with this engine?

this person in the twin cities area is looking:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/439754-02-engine-00-a.html

_____

and your son will really enjoy that 40 more hp/torque out of the 3.0. not sure if the local tree population will be safe.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm not sure if I'm ready to sell right now. My son needs to buy a car, and I'm not sure what we're going to end up with. We might be needing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts