Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been having some foggy weather here in the Pacific NW and I usually commute before sun up and after sun down. And it's been interesting watching how the steering responsive headlights work and do their thing as you can see the beam pattern in the fog.
Sometimes it's almost as if one or the other headlight works independently, but I think they really don't. It just depends on how sharp of a turn you're taking, that side headlight moves more than the other.
I noticed as you're turning at an intersection the headlight maybe shining into oncoming traffic for a split second as it returns to center.
I also wonder if folks in front of you, in their rearview mirror can notice your headlight movement?
Odd thing is that I've been flashed twice while driving in the fog with these new LED HID headlights. And in my experience Subaru tends to aim their headlights low from the factory. These I haven't had to mess with.

·
Registered
'18 Outback 2.5i Touring
63 Posts
Funny...I had the same exact experience in the Northeast this morning. I had clearly (pun intended) seen the lights move at night since I've had my '18 Touring, but it was even more noticeable with the heavy fog. I'd think that someone looking in their mirror would see the light direction changing if they were doing so at the right time, as it's a pretty quick adjustment.

I haven't yet been flashed (surprisingly) and I changed out the awful halogen fogs for Opt7 LED's a couple of weeks ago - they are much better than the stock fogs and match the color of the LED headlights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey grumpy. I also have a 2018 Touring. Just a week old so really haven’t much chance to observe the steering responsive headlights yet. I traded a 2015 Limited that had steering responsive fogs but not headlights. Worked ok but nothing that helpful. Do the 2018 Touring models have the Responsive fogs as well as Responsive headlights? Mine doesn’t the best I can tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey grumpy. I also have a 2018 Touring. Just a week old so really haven’t much chance to observe the steering responsive headlights yet. I traded a 2015 Limited that had steering responsive fogs but not headlights. Worked ok but nothing that helpful. Do the 2018 Touring models have the Responsive fogs as well as Responsive headlights? Mine doesn’t the best I can tell.

2018 Outback replaces Responsive fogs with Responsive LED headlights.

·
Registered
'18 Outback 2.5i Touring
63 Posts
Correct - Fogs are Fixed

2018 Outback replaces Responsive fogs with Responsive LED headlights.
Correct - only the headlights are responsive; my wife has a '15 with the responsive fogs, but I never noticed them doing much as you noted. The headlights are much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts