Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm completely new to this forum! I have a 16-year-old son and have an opportunity to buy a 1996 Outback. It's in great shape, the seller has all maintenance records (we haven't checked them out yet), but the car has 244,000 miles on it. I love everything else about it, but that. Our other son has a 2000 Outback which had 160,000 miles on it when we bought it and we ended up putting quite a bit of money into it. Any thoughts on how many miles these cars will run?? The seller is asking $3,200 OBO and we are thinking of offering $2,700 if we decide to make an offer. Would love to get it, but don't want a dead car when he puts 10,000 miles on it. Any thoughts would be sooo appreciated!

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
My $.02 is : Due to high miles, I would let this one go bye, bye.
Even with good maint., etc., a lot of expense "things" can go wrong or a lot of small problems could nickel and dime you forever.
You will pay more up front for a lower mileage car, but, in the long run it should cost you less.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
945 Posts
Kinda high on price for it but if your set on getting it, SPEND the 100-150$ for a full inspect of it under neath. dont get the inspect after you buy it and have worries.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback. L.L. Bean edition. 3.0L H6 engine
12 Posts
my thoughts, coming from a younger brother are: why did my older brother get a newer model with less miles?? But hey, many parents play favorites

my thoughts, as a buyer are: beware, anything over 200K is a gamble. Subarus are great cars and can run well over 200K but that doesn't mean they still won't have problems.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Price seems high for the mileage.

I second the recommendation to pay for an inspection mechanic's services. I don't know your local market, but there are enough used Subarus around here that a $2700 limit would turn up over a dozen cars to choose from all within two hour drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.