Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5 N/A EJ259 5MT
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 OBW with King Springs, 00-04 struts/shocks all around, new control arms in the front, and new sway bar links, all of which were installed a year ago. A few months ago after a very rough dirt road, I started hearing a very loud clunk from the passenger side front end. It typically happens as soon as I start to accelerate after braking. It's gotten to the point where it's happening after every single brake/acceleration combo and I can actually feel the clunk through the floor of the car.

I'm wondering if it's perhaps the aftermarket sway bar links that I put on a year ago or perhaps the ball joints which are probably original to the car. I've lifted the front end up and can't seem to find any amount of abnormal play. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wiggle the Ball joint? Even new arms could have a bum part. Also dummy check but still look at loose bolts.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
410 Posts
Which brand LCAs? Did they have new bushings? My old legacy did something similar when the LCA bushings were shot.

By the way, how do like the Gen 2 struts all around? Im happy with Gen 2 kybs in the rear, have king overload springs on the way, and I'm debating putting in Gen 2 or Gen 3 kybs in the front.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,233 Posts
Is the King moving around on the perch? Check the top strut mounting bolts. Make sure the strut isn't shifting around.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the King moving around on the perch? Check the top strut mounting bolts. Make sure the strut isn't shifting around.
I don't think so. I've made sure all the bolts/nuts on the top strut (in the engine bay) are tight, and they are.

Which brand LCAs? Did they have new bushings? My old legacy did something similar when the LCA bushings were shot.

By the way, how do like the Gen 2 struts all around? Im happy with Gen 2 kybs in the rear, have king overload springs on the way, and I'm debating putting in Gen 2 or Gen 3 kybs in the front.
I'm not sure what brand the LCA's were, but they did some with all the bushings in them. The struts on this car were so shot when I bought the car (150k on the original's), that I can't really make a good comparison of the Gen 3 vs. Gen 2 struts. I can so however that I absolutely LOVE the King Spring/Gen 2 Strut combo. The ride is pretty stiff, which I love. Limited body roll around corners. Carries a load better. And you can hit speed bumps at full speed without bottoming out and its FUN! Maybe that's why the suspension is making noise...

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
410 Posts
Nice to hear you like the Gen 2's. I definitely want a more sporty ride - but not race car harsh, if you know what I mean. Firm, but still smooth.

Thinking about your clunk a little more - Have you jacked up the car and taken a peek?
One time, while on a dirt road with my legacy, one of the LCA mount bolts rattled out. The other side broke and it had a very similar clunk during braking/acceleration. If you can't spot anything obvious, I would take a pry bar and test everything for play. But if it's so bad your feeling it I'd think it'd be somewhat obvious

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
626 Posts
Nice to hear you like the Gen 2's. I definitely want a more sporty ride - but not race car harsh, if you know what I mean. Firm, but still smooth.

Thinking about your clunk a little more - Have you jacked up the car and taken a peek?
One time, while on a dirt road with my legacy, one of the LCA mount bolts rattled out. The other side broke and it had a very similar clunk during braking/acceleration. If you can't spot anything obvious, I would take a pry bar and test everything for play. But if it's so bad your feeling it I'd think it'd be somewhat obvious
Those bushings wear out quick too. I had the clunk, and that's what it was. I want to say it was around 50k miles.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I jacked up the front end today and spent about 30 minutes under there tightening every bolt I could get my hands on. Nothing was loose and I didn't see anything that looked obviously broken. I'd try replacing the sway bar bushings, but they're only a year old, so I really don't think they're the culprit. Plus, after riding the passenger seat, I swear it feels like something is trying to bust through the passenger side floor when this clunk happens.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I jacked up the front end today and spent about 30 minutes under there tightening every bolt I could get my hands on. Nothing was loose and I didn't see anything that looked obviously broken. I'd try replacing the sway bar bushings, but they're only a year old, so I really don't think they're the culprit. Plus, after riding the passenger seat, I swear it feels like something is trying to bust through the passenger side floor when this clunk happens.
That really sounds like the rear bushing in the front LCA on that side isn't seated properly. It has happened. Look at both sides closely and see if they look different. Also could be the exhaust swinging and hitting stuff. Or a soggy transmission mount. Sounds kinda weird but when you find it we're all gonna go 'duh!'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts