Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my clutch is engaged, it is very loud. When not engaged, it is dead silent. The car will sometimes jerk in the morning when its cold / first time accelerating in the morning. This is also when its the loudest. It hasen't slipped yet *cross fingers* but at 134k, it is probably just getting old.

Any ideas why its really loud? Pressure plate going? I'm thinking a complete clutch job, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel but anyone else have an idea?

Also, what is the general consensus of the flywheel. re-face it? or buy a new one?

EDIT: 2004 Subaru Outback 2.5L Cali Spec (EJ259)

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The noise is probably the throw-out bearing. Easy replacement while doing the others you mentioned. I replaced the flywheel in mine when it was clutch time.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Release bearing. Put in neutral let the clutch out. Do you hear a squeal with your foot off the pedal? Mine was failing at 144,000. If the bearing is going you need to do the clutch job asap! The failing bearing will damage the input shaft and at that point the fix is a new transmission.

The hydrolic cylinder you pedal actuates driver side back corner of the engine can get road grime on it abd cause a sqeaky sort of rough pedal feel fix is just a rag and a wipe down of the pin easily seen and done.

The cold clutch chatter is a well known clutch material thing no big deal. You might notice it goes away if you put some miles on with out any moments of excessive clutch slipping where you get a good wiff of burnt clutch. It will get more grabby and chatter more on cold mornings after a good clutch drag smoking event.

Mine was the very same way frome mile 1. The second clutch subaru had updated the material used and the chatter was much less on cold mornings

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of that, but on my last subaru (2000 impreza OBS) i had the throwout bearing shot. I could tell because it made a higher pitched whistle like noise when the clutch was engaged, where as this is more of a lower toned, metal on metal noise.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If the sound changes with you moving the clutch with the car sitting still and is happening beyond the physical movement if the pedal its the release bearing. Mine made low sounds and high sqeal sounds.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If its just pedal movement grime on the pin will make some pretty bad sounds but its limited to the physical pedal movement nothing beyond that

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive updated my OG post with a video of the sound. The sound stutters on for a second after the clutch is released, is it slightly still attached? Maybe my pedal needs adjustment, or a flush? Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
ive updated my OG post with a video of the sound. The sound stutters on for a second after the clutch is released, is it slightly still attached? Maybe my pedal needs adjustment, or a flush? Any ideas?
release bearing / throw out bearing for sure! Do it soon or be very sorry due to damage to the input shaft and the repair being far far far bigger

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
**** so im looking at a whole clutch system. im a little mechanically knowledgeable, but i wouldnt do a clutch myself. what do you typically pay for this sort of thing. would you suggest buying the parts online and taking them in, or pay the mechanic for it all?

also flywheel wise, new one? or re-face?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car and never want to deal with clutch issues the proper standard clutch job is Exidy which is OEM parts - the bearing, the plate and the clutch all get replaced.

If you plan on dumping the car ASAP and could care less about it and want to do it cheap - use a non OEM clutch kit and leave the old plate in it. Let the next owner tear it back down and do a proper clutch job.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exedy KSB04 is the correct clutch kit. So buy it online @ 175 dollars and bring it to a mechanic for installation? Or pay him for parts and labor. I just dont know how stoked he would be on not making money on the parts. How bout a dealer? What would they think about this?

I plan on keeping this car as long as I can. New flywheel or re-cut?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The fly wheels in pretty much all cars are not over built like the old days. You want to keep the car put a new plate in it! You want to dump the car soon leave the old plate in it.

The dealer did mine at 144K charged me $1200 that was back in like 2006 I think. Easy job they had the car ready the next day after a noon drop off. Zero issues and worked like new and sold the car at 180K

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
most quotes have been right around $1100

So I hear the noise now, how far do I have before I break my transmission. / how far have I already ruined it. Are they going to pull my car apart and find damage to the tranny, or as long as I get it done now, should I be okay?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
most quotes have been right around $1100

So I hear the noise now, how far do I have before I break my transmission. / how far have I already ruined it. Are they going to pull my car apart and find damage to the tranny, or as long as I get it done now, should I be okay?
How long has it made that sound? What you hear is a bearing not running smooth or even possibly locked and spinning on the input shaft. The damage is a scored input shaft or worse a input shaft thats been impacted enough where a new bearing will not fit correctly which case the cost just got big.

How far can you go? Depends if you want to keep the car and don't want to pay for a new transmission you should have done the fix when it first started making the noise. Is it damaged? Heck no one besides super man with Xray vision can answer that question till they actually pull the transmission and look.

Your options are - get the clutch job done ASAP! - or decide you don't care drive it some more and assume the worst it can be is a new transmission when the car decides its done complaining and goes broke.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well its been dropped at the shop. should have all new parts by late tomorrow. thanks for the help, lets hope i haven't f'd it too bad

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well took it to the shop. they put it on the lift and turned the wheels. They think its a bearing near the rear of the tranny, the clutch sounds good in their opinion. Quoted me at 3000 for a rebuild or we can find a used one.

man am i pissed

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
well took it to the shop. they put it on the lift and turned the wheels. They think its a bearing near the rear of the tranny, the clutch sounds good in their opinion. Quoted me at 3000 for a rebuild or we can find a used one.

man am i pissed
Was that a dealer? If not get a second opinnion from your local dealer. Play dumb and tell them you need a clutch job and ask about the release bearing. Not sure how a bearing in the back will make noise when in neutral. I think BS meter just pegged on that shop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
4 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing