Subaru Outback Forums banner

Loud engine/transmission

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dirtyduck 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have a 2013 Subaru Premium with 2K miles, CVT transmission. I love everything about this car, the look, the practicality, the mileage but my only concern is how loud this vehicle is. I know some people say it is not the engine but the transmission but in my opinion, that doesn't change the fact. This is by far the loudest car I've owned and it is hard for me to believe that buying a 2013 car you would have to worry about the car being too loud. I'd like to hear what you have to say, please comment...Did the loudness got better with driving more miles? Thanks much

#4 ·
Doesn't seem loud to me and I doubt there would be more insulation in the Limited compared to a Premium... right?
I guess since my other car has a borla exhaust and electric cutouts, the Outback seems like a library.

Did you test drive it before you bought it?

#6 ·
I have never found interior noise to be objectionable IMO.
I know just after I bought it if I was standing outside while it was running it was very loud and coarse sounding. That has gone away now though that I have 16k on it.
It's why I named it the tractor but it doesn't sound like one anymore.

#7 ·
Boxer engines are generally loud. VW Beetle, Porsche 911, all relatively noisy engines.

The 3.6 is much quieter than the 2.5 is, but it's still realtively noisy compared to the average V6, I6, I4 engine found in cars in the same price range.

#8 ·
Went from 2010 to 2013 OB premium CVT. Both cars equipped same except the '13 has a sunroof. Wife and I both commented how the new car is louder. No wind whistles. The tire pressure was @ factory spec. 32/30 psi., and both w/ the factory Conti tires. I only have 1500 mi. on the new car, but notice some CVT differences. Coasting downhill, the trans will "downshift" by itself taking the engine speed from around 1600 rpm to 3000 ish. The '10 would just stay in the top ratio, and would require manual to obtain engine braking. This rpm difference aside, when cruising @ 1700/1800 rpm, the louder noise level seems to be coming thru the chassis. I imagine it to be like a harder elastomer bushing material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.