Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a Subaru 2018 outback 2 days ago and noticed a loud noise when shifting from reverse to park. A noise is also heard going from park to reverse but not as loud.

The noise from reverse to park sounds like a lever engaging (fast clickclak sound ). The noise from Park to reverse is a click sound.

The vehicle is on flat surface in the garage. The foot break is fully pressed and so is the shift lever on the shifter.

Below are more observations while card is stationary.

1. Shifting from drive to park in one move. No Noise.
2. A loud "click" noise heard going from park to reverse.
3. A louder "clickclak" noise heard shifting from reverse to park.
4. Neutral to park no noise heard.

Thanks!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Did you notice this on a test drive or on any other same type of units?

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
Mine does the same thing. A week ago I scheduled my car for its 24K free oil change at my local dealer. When I received the email confirmation it mentioned "Shift Control Rods-Replace"....

Yesterday when I brought it in for the appointment the service manager had no idea what I was referring to and said he never heard of a "shift control rod". I also have a rattle under the L front that they cannot hear.

On mine, that trans shifting sound resembles stepping on and aluminum can, like some cheap flimsy metal is involved in the shifting process.

I hear it when outside the car, like when my wife drives up and parks. Can be heard more subdued from inside the car and is not related to shifting incorrectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For now my work around to avoid the louder noise from reverse to park is to put the car in drive then move it to park in one shift. This avoids the noise and hopefully damage.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
For now my work around to avoid the louder noise from reverse to park is to put the car in drive then move it to park in one shift.
It's beginning to sound like maybe a loose engine/transmission mount, or perhaps a loose rear drive shaft. Easy for your dealer to check; easy to fix.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue as the first post in a 2018 Premium. Flat surface, parking brake engaged, and get the same dreadful metal-on-metal sound going from reverse to park. It's a little less pronounced going from park to reverse (with or without the parking brake engaged).

We popped the hood also to track the noise. It's definitely coming from the driver side of the engine, and there was a small 'jump' in the engine that happened at the same time as the noise.

Took her into the dealer - they didn't see it as drastic (perhaps the car was warmer), and said it was normal. I didn't have a chance to check it out in any other Outbacks on the lot...does anyone have any further thoughts?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Is this after the car was placed in park and had shifted its weight onto the parking pawl tooth? A loaded parking pawl tooth will be noisy when its released under pressure. Has nothing to do with being shifted between Drive of reverse its simply the paking pawl tooth being released in the front differential under load. Try activating your parking brake before you place the car into park. This will limit how much weight is placed on the pawl when you take your foot off the foot brake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this is with the 'load' on the parking brake first for parking, then last for leaving.

Procedures used to park when hearing these symptoms: stop with foot on brake; engage parking brake; place vehicle in "P". Reverse order is used to leave from a parking spot (foot on brake, then put car in R or D, then release parking brake)...and have not tried on any type of incline or decline. Again, the noise is loudest and most jarring when going from R to P (i.e. backing into a parking spot); if passing straight thru from N or D to PARK, there is no sound.

In theory, there is no (or at least the most minimum) pressure on the tranny/parking pawl since I always engage the parking brake before putting the vehicle into park.

The dealership was reasonable at least and said to come back if it continues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,199 Posts
My 2015 has developed the same noise. I mentioned it to the service dept when I dropped it off for a routine 62500km service on Thurdsay. The wanted to do a cold start as it only seems to do it cold. I could not pick up the car Friday arvo (fly fishing for trout) so picked it up this morning (Saturday in Oz). No mechs on duty just the spare parts guy (about 80 really nice and knowledgeable). When I get home I have a read and find this on the invoice: 'Requires New Driveshafts'.
Looks like I will call in on Monday and check this out. Still under warranty so not concerned at this stage.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2018 Outback 3.6R.
Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
Service department said that they couldn't replicate the noise. I have captured this noise numerous times on my iPhone.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2018 Outback 3.6R.
Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
Service department said that they couldn't replicate the noise. I have captured this noise numerous times on my iPhone.
That's the typical Subaru service dept. response. All they want to do is change oil, filters and rotate tires. They're masters at abusing our time.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2 Posts
Subiefest at Santa Anita Park this month. I plan on having fun and will network with other owners - I will find an answer to this mysterious noise that cannot be heard or refused to be heard by service dept. peeps ears!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid switch. It can be quite loud sometimes. Perfectly normal.

It is there to prevent you from turning off the car, and then exiting the vehicle while the car is still in any position but Park. Try to turn off the car with it is Drive. You will find that you cannot remove the key. That is what that loud solenoid switch does. It prevents your car from rolling away after you exit the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts