Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Automatic Breaking (RAB) saved me from damaging the passenger side rear bumper of my OB today. I was backing out and got too close to a wood fence covered with climbing vines and it slammed on the brakes. No damage to the vehicle or fence. just scared the wits out of me. I am a fan. :)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
136 Posts
Ditto. Saved my butt from an embarrassing and potentially expensive screw up also. I was parallel parked on a hill. I backed up (downhill) using the rear camera to get as close as possible to the car behind me. I went to shift into drive, decided to hit the hill hold button instead. Since I was slightly distracted and pressing the button satisfied my muscle memory, I turned the wheel and pressed the accelerator. Car moved backwards slightly then RAB kicked in. No contact with the car behind me! I gathered up my remaining pride, put the car into drive and left.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Saying you like RAB is admitting that you (or can) screw up.

I had it fire once when I first got the car, I don't think I would have hit anything but the car felt I was reversing too fast.

Ahem... I haven't needed it... But...ahem... I like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
The IIHS is now testing RAB systems. So far there are two vehicles that have their highest rating. Subaru Outback (what a shock) and one of the Cadillac models. The other models they tested didn't perform as well.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,422 Posts
Once I was backing up through a field from where we were shoving off a boat and was going through some light high (2.5~3.5 feet) grass.

Rear Auto Braking set off. At first I thought it was a false alarm but there was a guide wire (braided steel line apx 1" thick) for a telephone pole directly behind me that I didn't see even though I was looking right at it.

I'd call it a system worth having. Wouldn't have died but I certainly would have had an awful scrape on my back bumper otherwise.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,413 Posts
Tall grass has set mine off, and there was no guide wire. I would rather have a false alarm or two in place of 2 G's worth of body damage, or worse, an injured pedestrian or pet.

Subaru really should include a half dozen one-size-fits-all uni-sex underwear with each eyesight they sell.
Lordy!! Those brakes get your attention!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited Eyesight 2001 Honda Cr-V 287k miles 1984 Mercedes 280SL red w/5 speed manual
19 Posts
My new Subaru doesn't even have 60 miles total on it and it has never engaged The reverse braking but this is my feeling. At first all the new electronic features I didn't want. I felt just the more to go wrong with. When I bought a new Honda Cr-V back in 2001 I remember not even wanting electric windows. But I am sure that with time, and once we completely accept all this new technology that we will appreciate it. It is just a matter of accepting change. But if it saves one from even 1 serious incident then it is well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is nice but a pain at my house. The shape of my driveway causes it to go off every time I back out a little too fast

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
It is nice but a pain at my house. The shape of my driveway causes it to go off every time I back out a little too fast

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I disable it when backing into my garage for the same reason. It sees the garage floor as an obstacle because of the angle I'm at backing towards the door. It re-enables as soon as I take it out of reverse, so it's available when it's needed for real.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts