Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have changed each low beam bulb on my 2011 outback and it's no fun. Also this is the only auto I've ever owned that I've had to replace bulbs on. The last time I changed the bulbs, the passenger side ended up "pointing wrong", limiting illumination.
As I hate changing the bulbs I called the local dealer and was quoted $150 for both low beam bulbs changed. That seems way high, at $75 per bulb with install. Was wondering what others are paying. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,033 Posts
If I recall, my dealer was around $25 per light to change, though that may have been the side marker light so the increase in bulb cost may bring that up in the $33 range.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited, 10 Outback 2.5 MT (sold), 14 Ford Fusion Titanium, 94 Cutlass Supreme 2D
82 Posts
After the annual changes and fighting with it myself since I think my dealer was close to what yours wants, I finally did a conversion to HID's with a buddy of mine. If I had it to do over I would have done the 50 watt kit over the 35 I chose, little dark at night, but with the poorly calibrated auto headlights burning them out I couldn't keep changing them.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
After the annual changes and fighting with it myself since I think my dealer was close to what yours wants, I finally did a conversion to HID's with a buddy of mine. If I had it to do over I would have done the 50 watt kit over the 35 I chose, little dark at night, but with the poorly calibrated auto headlights burning them out I couldn't keep changing them.
I've seen many 35w HID lights in action and they're anything but a little dark. Something sounds wrong here. HIDs are insanely bright.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited, 10 Outback 2.5 MT (sold), 14 Ford Fusion Titanium, 94 Cutlass Supreme 2D
82 Posts
I've seen many 35w HID lights in action and they're anything but a little dark. Something sounds wrong here. HIDs are insanely bright.
I can only speak for my experience with the kit I purchased, but I need the fog lights or high beams on unlit roads. I remember my HIDs from my old Acura TL being able to see near anything down the road without ever needing my high beams. I've checked the alignment of them, so I don't know what the issue is with them.

·
Registered
2011 - 2013 Outback 3.6R
15 Posts
What kind of a HID did you use, was it a retrofit kind or just replaced the bulbs with HID type?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Full retrofit with O-Nex 35W 5000K HID kit. Friend of a friend deal, so I didn't do my homework, especially since my friend already had them in his Juke and said how great they were. They do have a website, so they must be legit.:tease::8:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
I'm bumping an old thread because it's well SEO'd for this topic.

NINETY-SEVEN DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS PER BULB

That's $97.50 each low beam, $195 for the pair in Northern California.

Wow.

Had to call back and ask--it's mostly labor, but that does include the bulb which is "like $12."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 2014 outback and the original bulbs [low beam and high beam] haven't burned out yet. I'm hoping to make it through winter before one of the low beams burns out. Is this normal for the original bulbs? If so, I would plan to just replace them this summer with dealer OEM.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,514 Posts
It’s a pain in the a$$ to change these bulbs...you need the hands of a five year old to be able to fit them in there...but I am not going to pay for something as easy as thisis to do...scraped hands and all

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have a 2010-2012 Outback the low beam headlamp warranty has been extended to 10 years regardless of mileage. Both of mine have gone out in my 2011 (within 2 weeks of each other) and the dealer changed them for free...no cost for labor or part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have a 2010-2012 Outback the low beam headlamp warranty has been extended to 10 years regardless of mileage. Both of mine have gone out in my 2011 (within 2 weeks of each other) and the dealer changed them for free...no cost for labor or part.

Wow! Didn't fathom there was such a thing as a bulb warranty. Good for you for discovering this. Had to change both of mine within months. These are monumentously difficult bulbs to change. It's ~1hr labor for each, and yes, small hands help. (Protip, do this with your young daughter. It's quality bonding time. Bonus: she'll learn a bunch of swear words and what poor design means when she becomes an engineer. This is what I am talking about
)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts