Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited (1st Subaru!!)
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are projectors for my low beams, so does that mean they are HID? They turn on instant though with no need to warm up.
My intent is to pre-order a new set of low beams and want to order the right bulb, but search results are coming back with references to H11, D4s and...it looks like H9's can be modified to fit? (probably by clipping/modifying the plastic tabs, i'm assuming)

The High beam / Daytime running light upgrade was simple: I went with 9005 LED Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 from TRS and they are fantastic.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,114 Posts
There are projectors for my low beams, so does that mean they are HID?
Not necessarily. "Projector" describes the optical design of the housing, independent of the light source. There are HID projectors, halogen projectors, and LED projectors.

That said, HID low beams were standard equipment on your 2015 Outback 3.6. The HID capsule type is D4S.

For completeness, the low beams on all 2015 2.5s were H11 halogen projectors. The HID and halogen housings are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,183 Posts
Yeah, you should have the stock HIDs, and your owner's manual should say D4S. I believe it also warns against performing any maintenance on them yourself, so when/if you do decide to crack them open, make sure you know what you're doing (they're not complicated, but care should be taken). As an added reference, if the back of your headlight housing looks like this, you can be sure you have HIDs:

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited (1st Subaru!!)
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not necessarily. "Projector" describes the optical design of the housing, independent of the light source. There are HID projectors, halogen projectors, and LED projectors.

That said, HID low beams were standard equipment on your 2015 Outback 3.6. The HID capsule type is D4S.

For completeness, the low beams on all 2015 2.5s were H11 halogen projectors. The HID and halogen housings are not interchangeable.
Very thorough. Thanks, ammcinnis. I'm surprised, because the Morimoto HID's I had in the Grand Cherokee were noticeably colder when first turning on. Guess I haven't taken the time to stand in front while someone else turned them on to actually verify what's happening up front.

Yeah, you should have the stock HIDs, and your owner's manual should say D4S. I believe it also warns against performing any maintenance on them yourself, so when/if you do decide to crack them open, make sure you know what you're doing (they're not complicated, but care should be taken). As an added reference, if the back of your headlight housing looks like this, you can be sure you have HIDs:
Hmm. Interesting backend to those stock HID light housings. I'm wondering if that type of headlight housing would be problematic if wanting to convert to LED later? Would you happen to know if converting to LED is easy or requires someone's "kit"?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,183 Posts
...Hmm. Interesting backend to those stock HID light housings. I'm wondering if that type of headlight housing would be problematic if wanting to convert to LED later? Would you happen to know if converting to LED is easy or requires someone's "kit"?
I doubt there's any simple way to convert them to LED, they're specifically designed for HID capsules and nobody sells HID-to-LED conversions AFAIK (thank god). I'd imagine that's because there's little to no reason to consider mucking up a perfectly good high performance HID projector with an LED that will likely negatively impact the safety and effectiveness. You've got a very nice headlight there. Is it not bright enough for you?

Also, do those LED units you have in your high beams operate at full brightness during the day? If so, that's also a safety concern, IMO.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,114 Posts
Would you happen to know if converting to LED is easy ...
Just don't. For starters, projector optics are custom designed for each light source.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,183 Posts
The Osram is perhaps a touch brighter, although that difference is not likely to translate to anything in the real world. Anyway, I swapped out the stock capsules (which were 2-3 years old) with the Philips XV2 and the difference was pretty substantial (particularly close-range). I'd buy whichever was cheaper from an authorized retailer (lots of fakes out there - check the manufacturer's websites!). Comparison:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts