Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have an '11 OB with 31k miles. I have been reading the various posts. Im pretty sure the cyclling of the autolamp did me in with decreasing its life.

I didn't know it was covered by the warranty. Is this true? While they reaplce it, would anyone happen to know if they would be able to install a brighter, hower powered lamp (obviously I would pay the difference)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Due to liability, a dealer most likely would install OEM. Brighter lights would be a DIY project.
With the inconvenience and travel needed for a warranty claim, I would not bother a dealer about a bulb change.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. Well, since it is still under warranty and there is a dealer near me, I guess there would be no harm in calling and scheduling a time. I mean, I could understand if the dealer is 1+ hour(s) away, but if it won't cost me anything out of my pocket, might as well take advantage of it right?

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
161 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Well, since it is still under warranty and there is a dealer near me, I guess there would be no harm in calling and scheduling a time. I mean, I could understand if the dealer is 1+ hour(s) away, but if it won't cost me anything out of my pocket, might as well take advantage of it right?
As difficult as it seems it is to change the bulbs I would let the dealer do it under warranty. Never had a car that I would say that about but if the dealer is nearby why go thru the hassle of DIY.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong guys, I would love to do it as a DIY, but if I don't have to pay out of pocket....hey..ya know

It would make sense for them to do the other side, but I doubt they would do that, right?

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Headlight bulbs are covered.. You're under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.. Check your wipers, and brake pads as well before you reach 36,000.. They are under warranty as well..

Steve

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys, I would love to do it as a DIY, but if I don't have to pay out of pocket....hey..ya know
I don't think Ticmxman was saying you should do it yourself. Not many people would say "I would love to do it" after changing a headlight on this car. It is the most annoying lightbulb change I have ever had to do. If it's gratis, I would go the dealer route.

Headlight bulbs are covered.. You're under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.. Check your wipers, and brake pads as well before you reach 36,000.. They are under warranty as well..
I do not have documentation sitting in front of me. But I do not think the headlight bulbs are covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty since it is a standard maintenance item that is acceptable to have wear (just like your oil is not covered under warranty). I was told a "1 year" warranty when I happened to have a headlight out at the dealership visit once as they were trying to convince me to have it replaced there, but that warranty could have just been for replacement bulbs. I wouldn't think brake pads or windshield wipers are covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty either. Could you site a reference? I'd be happy to have the info if that's true.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts

Steve
Many cars are bought in 2010 as 2011 models... how does that warranty formula work then? Is it "whichever comes first"? If so, it may be out of warranty, right? I may be wrong...

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
In the Warranty and Maintenance booklet it discusses what is covered.. the 3 yr/36,000 warranty covers bulbs, pads, and wiper blades specifically.. I even called my dealership to confirm and they said that is part of the bumper to bumper warranty..

Steve

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Many cars are bought in 2010 as 2011 models... how does that warranty formula work then? Is it "whichever comes first"? If so, it may be out of warranty, right? I may be wrong...
They'd go by the date of purchase and the miles on the odo at purchase.

For example, my 2013 was bought in Sept 2012 with 200 miles on it.

So, I have until 36,200 on the odo and Sept 2015 to file claims.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
In the Warranty and Maintenance booklet it discusses what is covered.. the 3 yr/36,000 warranty covers bulbs, pads, and wiper blades specifically.. I even called my dealership to confirm and they said that is part of the bumper to bumper warranty..

Steve
This :29:

Subaru is one of the few manufacturers that actually covers a host of "wear items" through the 3yr/36K warranty

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
How about tires??
Covered by the tire manufacturer, no road hazard warranty. If you get a Subaru extended warranty the OE tires get a road hazard warranty, depending on the extended warranty you get. For reference, I have the Gold Plus I believe (I can check when I get home), 5/60 with $100 deductible and my tires got road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is real helpful! I appreciate this. My wipers have been streaking for a while now, So, I might as well mention that to the guy too! I didn't know wipers were covered

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
They'd go by the date of purchase and the miles on the odo at purchase.

For example, my 2013 was bought in Sept 2012 with 200 miles on it.

So, I have until 36,200 on the odo and Sept 2015 to file claims.
Actually it is 36,000 miles max regardless of the miles on the OD when you picked it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
answer

I am taking my 11' Outback in in the morning to have this issue warrantied also. It was great reading through this today and seeing that I could bring it free of charge. Also since they are putting in the stock bulb once this one or the passanger burns out since my warranty is close to being up what bulb would you guys recomend? So that I am not changing bulbs every two years.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
...what bulb would you guys recomend?
I'd recommend avoiding the stupid auto-headlight feature.

Just turn on the low beams whenever you start the engine.

...works for me,

Looby

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
I'd recommend avoiding the stupid auto-headlight feature.

Just turn on the low beams whenever you start the engine.

...works for me,

Looby
so.. leave the headlight switch in the 'on' position. That's what I do, key goes in the ignition and the lights go on, they go off when it's removed. I just adjust the dash lights as needed for the daylight.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The problem is though, if and when you have your NAV set for daytime/nightime display mode, if you keep the low beam on, the NAV goes to the night mode...even during the day...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts