Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So here it goes

I have an 01 Outback and since I've got it it's had a low idle (~600rpm) once it reaches operating temperature. When it's cold out (-10 Celsius = 14F) it doesn't get as low then when it's warmer (5 Celsius = 41F). It also has a rough idle but it only does this when the breaks are applied. For example: if I put it in neutral and apply breaks it will be rough, but if I find a flat spot and don't apply breaks the idle will still be low, but not vibrate the car.

It does have engine code P0141 (heated O2 sensor) but the idling problem was happening for at least a month before the light came on.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,691 Posts
hmmm....

have you scanned the ECU for trouble codes?

I might be tempted to try to force a re-learn of the throttle's 'zero' position.

when the car is at operating temp, turn it off, disconnect the neg. battery term. , step on the brake pedal to discharge any residual voltage, wait maybe an additional 10 minutes or so to be certain, reconnect the battery, then WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ACCEL PEDAL , start the car. It may take a little longer to start, it may run/drive differently for the next 2-3 drive cycles so, wait a coupla days and see if there's an improvement after the monitors complete and the car re-learns it's a:f adjustments, etc.

cheap and easy to try.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 5 speed, 2000 Outback Automatic, 2002 Legacy Wagon Automatic. All 2.5L
270 Posts
Also, check for vacuum leaks. The power brakes are boosted by engine vacuum so there may be something there. Just spitballin' here.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,304 Posts
such codes are sometimes pending, and not actually popping the light on yet.

what do you got there for front and rear o2 sensors? any changed ever?

any corrosion or exhaust loose up front there,...?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,304 Posts
I see you are in Canada.

is this a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder 2001.?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts