Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired an 03 2.5L Legacy wagon with only 42k original miles. As expected it runs like a top. It has been well maintained in regards to oil changes at the dealer every 3500 miles but it has never had a coolant change and it's still on the original timing belt. The coolant (green) is low.

I know these models can have head gasket problems. Would running on low coolant make it more susceptible to these problems? Also, should I have the timing belt changed since it's 14 yrs old or at 42k miles, can I go to higher miles? Is the engine an interference or non-interference engine?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
105 months, or 105,000 miles for the timing belt as per subaru. although people change them earlier vs. blowing one and loosing the valves.

advice: a Aisin timing belt kit. (japanese made, not chinese junk like gates).
and a whole kit , as a bearing seized in that can make a new timing belt snap.

OEM pcv valve, and a OEM thermostat are not on the following but should be. toss them now with the old coolant. replacing it with your choice of green fluid mix from walmart or a autoparts store is typical.

NGK plugs, NGK plug wires. (subarus like NGK product).

hopefully the coolant is just getting lost do to dehydration or a mild external leak from a hose.

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Interference engine. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past due.

Change the belt and everything it touches ASAP. Idlers, and all that. Recommend AISIN parts, good quality.

Coolant:

-Closest to OEM: Peak OET Asian green, Pentofrost A2 green.
-Next closest: Zerex Asian.

Grab a bottle of Subaru's coolant conditioner from local dealer/amazon/ebay.
Subaru tstat or Stant XACTstat ONLY. Accept nothing else.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts