Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 outback ll bean h6 3.0
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 06 3.0r that has 33,000 miles but when i bought it had an overheating problem and i read somewhere that someone had the same issue with their h6. They took it to a dealer and had coolant flush cause they thought there was air in the system and it fixed their problem so I did the same thing. My problem went away for awhile but today i was waiting in line at the car wash and it began to get a little hot. I opened the hood when I got home and there were signs that coolant had spewed around the cap and reservoir. Any ideas??? I'm thinking a bad thermostat or coolant cap? Just in case anyone is wondering the coolant flush was performed at a subaru dealer

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,487 Posts
I would have hoped the dealer would do a cooling system pressure test,

verify the heater core, and the radiator were still good,

and replace the rad cap, and thermostat as they maybe 11 or 12 years old. (no aftermarket subs on a 06 H6).

but. I don't know if they would do such things, or just "flush" and burp.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have hoped the dealer would do a cooling system pressure test,

verify the heater core, and the radiator were still good,

and replace the rad cap, and thermostat as they maybe 11 or 12 years old. (no aftermarket subs on a 06 H6).

but. I don't know if they would do such things, or just "flush" and burp.
the same day i took it in they performed a multi point inspection, it took like 3 hours so i'm assuming they did lol. Do radiator caps and thermostats go bad even if the mileage is low? Also dont know what you mean by no aftermarket subs on a 06 h6

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,487 Posts
the same day i took it in they performed a multi point inspection, it took like 3 hours so i'm assuming they did lol. Do radiator caps and thermostats go bad even if the mileage is low? Also dont know what you mean by no aftermarket subs on a 06 h6
I was just zooming in on the rad cap in the pics.

on the sticker it says 16lbs.?

a subaru OEM cap measures in KPA.

that in itself is a cause of many a problem,...as the cap is not venting / regulating as it should and the coolant can boil.

subaru does not provide a age or a mileage for replacing thermostats (or PCV ).
but 12 years seems pretty old and we are only typing on a couple $18 parts. which should obviously be on some maint schedule as they do cause problems as they age and wear = spring steel gets metal fatigue.

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

·
Registered
'01 OBW 3.0 VDC 184,000 Miles '19 OB 2.5 Base <2,000 Miles - Formerly '14 Impreza Sedan 2.0 5spd 66,000 Miles at trade-in
330 Posts
Please please, get rid of that Chinese crap rad cap. Get an OEM in kPa, cheap cheap. Overheating while waiting in a line leads me to possibly suspect an airflow issue. Check the radiator fans' operation- Engine on, A/C on- both fans should run

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please please, get rid of that Chinese crap rad cap. Get an OEM in kPa, cheap cheap. Overheating while waiting in a line leads me to possibly suspect an airflow issue. Check the radiator fans' operation- Engine on, A/C on- both fans should run
gonna pick one up tomorrow from the dealer! I'm fairly certain both fans work but i'll check. There should 2 behind the radiator and one in front of the condenser right?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just wanted to let everyone know I solved the overheating issue, it was the wrong radiator cap. Stupid ford dealership installed the wrong radiator cap where I bought the car.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
I just looked up the the conversion and my chart says 1 PSI = 6.9 KPA. An 18 PSI cap would hold 124 KPA? The cap on our 2.5 '17 says 1.1, which I take to be KPA? Doesn't sound good at all. I'm glad it seems the OP solved the problem with OEM cap.

·
Registered
18,425 Posts
I just looked up the the conversion and my chart says 1 PSI = 6.9 KPA. An 18 PSI cap would hold 124 KPA? The cap on our 2.5 '17 says 1.1, which I take to be KPA? Doesn't sound good at all. I'm glad it seems the OP solved the problem with OEM cap.
FSM page on the rad cap indicates:

Specified pressure:
93 — 123 kPa (0.95 — 1.25 kg/cm2, 14 — 18
psi)
Service limit pressure:
83 kPa (0.85 kg/cm2, 12 psi)

Your 1.1 is probably kg/cm2.

The 16 psi cap in the photo is right in the middle of the spec. But, given the update, probably wasn't working properly.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
FSM page on the rad cap indicates:

Specified pressure:
93 — 123 kPa (0.95 — 1.25 kg/cm2, 14 — 18
psi)
Service limit pressure:
83 kPa (0.85 kg/cm2, 12 psi)

Your 1.1 is probably kg/cm2.

The 16 psi cap in the photo is right in the middle of the spec. But, given the update, probably wasn't working properly.
Thanks for enlightening me. I just noticed in the last photo the OP posted that it shows the cap is stamped with 1.1. Can't tell if the the other side is stamped with ND or not . The made in China sticker does reinforce the thought it is a knock off. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts