Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the low oil quantity light on 2 months after doing an oil change, thought it was erroneous until I needed to add two quarts to fill it up.

Just had a service done at 36000 miles on the 3.6 outback, 2011 and my mechanic and I are going to monitor the oil consumption, after 320 miles the dipstick is exactly in between the two dots on dipstick. This concerns me as it seems to be showing unusual oil consumption. I will check at 1000 miles to see if it continues to drop.

I am new to this forum so has anybody else encountered this problem?:)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav - Azurite Blue
152 Posts
I am having this same issue. Before my last oil change, the light came on a few times. I checked and saw the level was perfectly in the middle of the range. So I thought something was wrong with the sensor and let the service manager know. Well they returned my car and said it was actually a little bit on the low side. Here I am about to get another oil change and the light came on again which is why I'm here trying to search for other owners with this same issue.

Same thing, 2011 3.5. about 47000 miles.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
390 Posts
What type ( petroleum, synblend, full synthetic) and SAE grade (0w-30, 5w-30, etc), are you using? What kind of driving? How long is your average commute?

Thanks,

Tk

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav - Azurite Blue
152 Posts
So, I checked last night and sure enough it was a bit below the low mark. Added a quart and now its almost to the full mark (covering the first part of the F). So it must be getting consumed somehow in 5000 miles. My 89 acura legend did this occasionally but never had another car do this.

Been using whatever the dealer puts in (think 5W-30?). Southern California driving. 80% hwy. 10-30 miles each way for commute. Nothing crazy. No leaks.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
390 Posts
A quart in 5000 miles is well within the normal range of oil consumption. You do tend to see more oil consumption if you do lots of high speed driving and in hot weather. In addition, engine tolerances do vary, so it's hard to give a precise value on what to expect. One thing you could do is switch to a slightly thicker oil such as a 10w-30 or 5w-40. The first uses a higher molecular weight base stock, which is less volatile. The second is a bit thicker once you reach operating temperature. So both will tend to reduce oil consumption relative to a 5w-30.

Subaru engines really aren't that particular when it comes to the SAE grade of the oil. Anything from a 0w-30 to a 5w-40 will work fine, based on personal experience. You could even use a 15w-40, mixed fleet oil in mild to hot weather, provided it meets the latest API/SN specification.

You'll note that I skipped over 10w-40 - I don't like this grade in petroleum oils since it
uses lots of polymeric thickener. However a 10w-40, full synthetic is perfectly acceptable too....

TS

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
I read that the newer model engines that use synthetic oil are built to use oil.. They say that because the new engines are designed with much less friction oil consumption is normal every 800 miles.

I find this hard to believe but google oil consumption for your car and you'll see.

Still doesnt seem right

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
I read that the newer model engines that use synthetic oil are built to use oil.. They say that because the new engines are designed with much less friction oil consumption is normal every 800 miles.

I find this hard to believe but google oil consumption for your car and you'll see.

Still doesnt seem right
Lowering internal friction has been given more of a priority over oil consumption in newer engine designs. That does not mean that most engines will use a significant amount of oil......It means the outliers will use more, and there may be more outliers.

Most newer Subaru engines do not use much oil. But the few that do may use more. People that have examples that do not use oil tend not to complain on the internet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts