Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking for a more of a Low Profile Roof Basket for my 2018 Outback. I was thinking about one that would send in between the cross bars and attach to the crossbars from the side instead of under it. I would like a roof basket but do not want the massive hit to my MPG. Is this a terrible idea? I was thinking maybe a Yakima Roof BasketCase.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,730 Posts
I am looking for a more of a Low Profile Roof Basket for my 2018 Outback. I was thinking about one that would send in between the cross bars and attach to the crossbars from the side instead of under it. I would like a roof basket but do not want the massive hit to my MPG. Is this a terrible idea? I was thinking maybe a Yakima Roof BasketCase.
If you want the best MPG, a basket carrier is not the optimum solution - it's not the height of the basket, or how low to the roof it sits, it's what you put in it that matters. A short stubby basket would be loaded pretty high for a given cubic foot capacity, and that will cost you MPG.

An aerodynamic plastic carrier would be a much better solution. Thule and Yakima are both good brands and very common on these forums.

And I'd say this even if you intend to remove the basket when it's not being used. A wire basket has too many structural features that the wind has to work around.

·
Vendor
231 Posts
I am looking for a more of a Low Profile Roof Basket for my 2018 Outback.
Hi there, as an option you can consider this Inno cargo basket. It was developed as aerodynamic solution with minimal wind rsistance. If you decide to order it, make sure it fits between the bars (you will need to measure your roof). Also, for even better aerodynamics, you may add one of those Thule air screens. Just some ideas, hope this helps!

·
Registered
142 Posts
As stated above, it won't be low profile with stuff in it. I have the load warrior and it kills gas mileage. I have a yakima skybox and it only hits me about 4 mpg. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought the loadwarrior.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts