Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my roofrack in starting; just a bit of pipe-reinforced wiremesh that I found at the recyclers. Painted black, bent to follow the curve of the roof, and (temporarily) ziptied to rack to determine amount of wind noise. I do want to put up some low sides and a back, but that will come later. I'll be figuring out how to secure it later - just checking aerodynamics/noise/aesthetics for now.

After the sides and back are on it, then its time for lights! Still not sure if they're going high on the rack or under the bumper :D

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
330 Posts
hmm - I've been toying with the idea of re-purposing the OEM rail clamps. What are you using to hold the "basket" in place - zip ties, wire, rope?
[can't make it out]

Did you find that "basket" as is somewhere?

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Do you plan to leave the finished rack on the car full time? If yes, then you will NOT be able to clean or wax the underneath paint. The car will start to look scruffy pretty fast.

Also, you run the risk of scarring the paint when you tie stuff down. I like at least three inches below any roof mounted rack or basket......

Watch out for excessive curve if you plan to carry hard stuff like a jerry can or suitcase - it will be harder to keep it from shifting as you drive. Flat is better for hard stuff.

Anyway, it will be cool to see what you end up with. I was looking at a two piece alloy ATV ramp at Cabelas just yesterday, thinking "what a great rack you could build with that!" Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scemcin - zip-tied for now. Will use some sort of clamp to achor it later. I was thinking about adapting a couple of sets of quick-release hubs from a mountain bike wheel as upper bolt tensioners. Just twist and clamp down to attach or spin off to remove the basket.

I did find the basket base as-is; I'm almost sure its a sidewall for a big mesh storage box - in the second pic you can see two slip-in hooks to attach to another piece.

This is what I think I want it to look like after being totally done - the stock rack will fit between the top and bottom sections (grey areas).

Davies - the basket is pretty close in the middle - about an inch of clearance. I'l planning on putting adhesive-backed rubber bumpers on the roof in areas that are too close for comfort. I'm not real worried about the roof getting dented by the rack - I won't be carrying more than 150 lbs up there (I know I know, manual only says 100 lbs...meh). I sat in the middle to test for flex - my svelt 195 lbs pushed the wire to about 1/4 of an inch of the roof, so with some rubber bumpers I feel pretty confident it won't become a problem.

As far as the ATV ramps for roofracks go, there are some CHEAP, light aluminum ones at Harbor frieght that I've heard people were looking at - $90 - Bi-Folding Aluminum Ramp - 1000 Lb. Capacity

You might find a better deal if you have a local store and maybe even pick up a coupon VS paying the Cabelas price. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lowwill - found it at the recyclers. If you're anywhere near enough to DC to pick up I have two more in the classifieds.

Dan

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Outback
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Idea scrapped...

The wind noise from the small mesh was too much:28:. Going to start over with round aluminum bars mounted below the original cross members. Still going to be low-profile though. If you're looking for metal for home projects, here's where I get mine (when I can't scavenge from the recyclers) www.speedymetals.com

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
The wind noise from the small mesh was too much:28:. Going to start over with round aluminum bars mounted below the original cross members. Still going to be low-profile though. If you're looking for metal for home projects, here's where I get mine (when I can't scavenge from the recyclers) Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply
what about pop-riveting w'ever a short, full width deflector on the front? might reduce the noise enough

could be some sheet metal with a bend/curve back. might even be able to use some black rubber/plastic wide weatherstripping of some kind

1 - 10 of 10 Posts