Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been meaning to ask this now for a while, but life issues seem to distract me when I get home causing me to forget to ask this question on here. This is for my 2008 LLB Bean OBW with 181,000 miles.

Some time ago after getting an oil change (along with tire rotation) I started noticing a very particular issue. Which was in the midst of driving the low tire pressure light starts blinking slowly about a dozen times before staying on. Only to go off a few minutes later. Now here is the very particular part. This ONLY happened at literally the same place in the road every day when driving too work. Not on any other roads, not before, or after that segment in the road.

In order to figure out what was going on, I took note that the light start flashing about 35 min into my daily drive. So on weekends I would drive a different direction for the same amount of time, no flashing low tire pressure light. Come Monday, Tues, etc. Same flashing light at the same location in the road before going off.

My question is, what does the flashing then steady TPM light mean?

Why in the world would it only happen on a certain roadway at the same location in that roadway irregardless of the time of day?

FYI - My actual tire pressure seems to remain constant and is unaffected. I tend to think maybe sensors are going bad...??

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,549 Posts
Can you modify your route to bypass the "crazy zone" but leaving most of it the same, to test whether it's really some local factor that's causing the problem?

Maybe there's RF interference in that particular spot.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
967 Posts
100% agree with sensor. I just did my 4th and final one last week when I took off snow tires.
Mine would start slow flashing after approx 12 miles. Elapsed time of trip did not matter, it was distance.
When you replace them do not let them use the kind with the metal stem. They corrode easily and you can't replace just the stem on that model. Get 7001 HPR sensors. They use the same frequency and have a replaceable rubber stem.
Do all at once if you can.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,549 Posts
You have a dying sensor. No way to tell which one unless you can access SSM data I think.
I'm not convinced of this. Yet. If it were me, I'd eliminate a local condition such as RFI (or whatever) first, since that should be easy enough to do. OP has already said it doesn't seem to be time (and, presumably, distance) related.

He doesn't mention it happening on the way from work. A good test would be to double back on the way home, to hit the offending location as if going to work, and see if it happens.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,622 Posts
I'm not convinced of this. Yet. If it were me, I'd eliminate a local condition such as RFI (or whatever) first, since that should be easy enough to do. OP has already said it doesn't seem to be time (and, presumably, distance) related.

He doesn't mention it happening on the way from work. A good test would be to double back on the way home, to hit the offending location as if going to work, and see if it happens.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
11 Posts
Hello, I just acquired a 2012 OB from my dad and am selling mine. They are the exact same model except for color. I had just put new tires on mine so I wanted to switch them. Last night I jacked each one up and changed each tire, rim and all, on the cars. I switched them for the same position tire. The dealer and friends said it should be fine being identical cars. But now my tire light is flashing then staying on. I have not had a chance to check the pressure, but they were not doing it before I put them on the other car last night. I will check pressure when I get home later but thought I would pose the question. Is it okay to switch rims and tires from two identical model cars? I did notice my dad's had the green stems, but he has always filled them with regular air when needed. They are the original tires with only 15,000 miles on them. Thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts