Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing lower grille ABS honeycomb cover on 2013 OB 2,5 Liter. Using BMW 5 series as target vehicle.
Bought black ABS honeycomb sheet size 108 cm x 25 cm x 1 cm on eBay. The sheet is sufficient for 2 cars. Since I am not sure if the front grille/bumpers are identical on both models, I will use one portion on mine and will ship second pre-cut sheet to another member of this forum (Budaru) who will install it on 3.6 Liter model. He may report any variations in installation on his model.

I made a template to fit between A/C radiator and front bumper, behind the center plastic cross brace, as pictured.
Will cut ABS within template specs (75,5 cm x 12,5 cm), insert in place and attach.
Details to follow. Pics below.
Estimated cost of this project: slightly less than $ 50.00 (and if you share your honeycomb sheet with another Subaru owner - half of that).
Here is the link for the ABS honeycomb sheet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLASTIC-ABS-UNIVERSAL-BLACK-SPORT-MESH-GRILL-GRILLE-CAR-STOCK-OE-STYLE-9-X42-E-/160719312418?_trksid=p2050601.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D250%26meid%3D7254540271550637613%26pid%3D100085%26prg%3D1112%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D160719312418%26%26clkid%3D7254544901843177334&_qi=RTM1303752

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ABS honeycomb lower grille cover done!

Here is the final installation of my lower grille ABS honeycomb cover:

1. Cut ABS to size 13 cm x 75,5 cm (13 cm is appx. half of the ABS honeycomb - cut on a table saw for straight cuts). One sheet is plenty for 2 cars! I am sharing mine with Budaru!
2. Remove the front grille
3. Relocate ambient temp sensor so that its facing A/C radiator
4. Apply black weather stripping (1" wide) on bottom of plastic bumper cover (disregard 3 clips in bumper cover as seen on pic# 3 - work in progress)
5. Insert ABS and push it into the high density foam weather stripping
6. Drill a hole in the middle cross member
7. Insert 4" stainless steel bolt through the hole and ABS
8. Use large plastic washer and tighten the 4" bolt with stainless steel nut
9. Brace the bottom of the ABS with plastic tube inside the center cross member (not visible)
10. Paint the bolt black ( I yet have to do so...).
DONE !

Any questions, let me know. Finally the lower grille is covered to prevent damage of A/C radiator from flying debris!

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
I should try to rig something like that in my wrx's scoop to reduce the dings on the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Installing lower grille ABS honeycomb cover on 2013 OB 2,5 Liter. Using BMW 5 series as target vehicle.
Bought black ABS honeycomb sheet size 108 cm x 25 cm x 1 cm on eBay. The sheet is sufficient for 2 cars. Since I am not sure if the front grille/bumpers are identical on both models, I will use one portion on mine and will ship second pre-cut sheet to another member of this forum (Budaru) who will install it on 3.6 Liter model. He may report any variations in installation on his model.

I made a template to fit between A/C radiator and front bumper, behind the center plastic cross brace, as pictured.
Will cut ABS within template specs (75,5 cm x 12,5 cm), insert in place and attach.
Details to follow. Pics below.
Estimated cost of this project: slightly less than $ 50.00 (and if you share your honeycomb sheet with another Subaru owner - half of that).
Here is the link for the ABS honeycomb sheet:
Plastic ABS Universal Black Sport Mesh Grill Grille Car Stock OE Style 9"x42" E | eBay

Just installed the ABS grill in my 3.6R exactly like Jogosub did in his 2.5. The ABS can be cut with just about anything. I used a battery-powered jig saw with a medium wood blade to cut the ABS to the required 30" length. Then I trimmed about 1/4" off to make it fit better using my wire cutters.

I have a CarWorx front license holder that blocks the view of the bolt, so I didn't need to paint it black (but I did anyway). I used an indoor/outdoor rubber weather seal instead of the foam, but almost anything would probably work. I took some photos, but it seriously looks just the same as Jogosub's photos above. Thanks, Jogosub, for working out how to do this, and for selling me the leftover materials. :29:

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the credit Budaru! In the meantime, I painted that center bolt black so it's practically "invisible"... That was a fun project I must say! Onwards to another mod...LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium; 2.5 CVT; Ruby Red
56 Posts
Nice job!

Nicely done. Looks stock like it is supposed to be there. No restriction to air flow and it is surprising how much protection it provides from flying road debris. I love functional upgrades with nice form.:29:

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT All-Weather/Alloy Package, Graphite Gray
199 Posts
That looks awesome! Might have to do that myself. Well done fellas!:29:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts