Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that large air intake hole on the lower front of the car lets in all kinds of bugs, leaves, rocks, acorns, sticks, etc. ...so much so that my radiator is getting smashed up ..is there a grate like product that i can use to cover up that hole that would keep the trash out?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not sure if this would work but I give my 2 cents.

I don't know if you've seen the mesh grilles on the impreza or crosstrek but if you could get a similar mesh and cut it to fit the opening on your outback that might work.

If look on the subaru website you can see the the grille I'm talking about I think it's the sport mesh grille. If you get one of those grilles online (not necessarily from subaru just a generic one from one of the car parts sites) you could try to fit it to the size of the opening. I'm not sure how you would hold it in there but you would have to look on your car to see.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I saw a Gen 4 outback on instagram with a custom mesh grille. It looked awesome, don't think he's a member of this forum though. I'll try to find said photo.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I saw a Gen 4 outback on instagram with a custom mesh grille. It looked awesome, don't think he's a member of this forum though. I'll try to find said photo.
I have contacted several companies that make custom lower bumper (aluminum/stainless steel or plastic) grille inserts. I will let you know, once they have responded.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

Here she is! That grille looks badass! But i'm too lazy to make one...
that looks awesome. i want to do that and then put driving lights inside.
i really hope there will be some kind of mesh grill available that isn't expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Here is one of them:

Thank you for your email, we have the plastic one in stock, needs cut to fit, it is a quality piece, we recommend the professional ship to cut it & install it,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> shipping is free,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
http://www.zmaxautosport.com/hiquplrs4str4.html <o:p></o:p>
please let us know if you have any question, thank you.<o:p></o:p>
Ken<o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I think I am going to cut a template from heavy cardboard over the weekend to fit that lower bumper opening and if and when I get a perfect fit, I will order that mesh from zmaxautosport and cut it to size with a hack saw. I will attach it to the middle brace (from behind) to get a clean look. It looks like it's quite sturdy and it will not need any attachments on the ends. Just the middle will do! I will also cut/slice a black rubber hose and frame that mesh so that the cut edges are not sharp. Looks like a fun project!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think I am going to cut a template from heavy cardboard over the weekend to fit that lower bumper opening and if and when I get a perfect fit, I will order that mesh from zmaxautosport and cut it to size with a hack saw. I will attach it to the middle brace (from behind) to get a clean look. It looks like it's quite sturdy and it will not need any attachments on the ends. Just the middle will do! I will also cut/slice a black rubber hose and frame that mesh so that the cut edges are not sharp. Looks like a fun project!
Awesome! When you do, can you write up a how-to guide with photos??? Please and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
yeah, was about to post that but its way too much, even for me. if i had any skill or attention to detail i could make one for 10-20% of that price, and that one doesn't even look that good IMHO.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
No - but looks good and the price is right better than some other ones for some 300 bucks! Where are they located? Their website doesn't really show their address...if you do get a reply, let me know, I am interested...I will email them as well....thanks .. looks like some offshore company as they refer to Customs and 1 to 2 weeks transit time...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
8 Participants
bradze
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing