Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to lower my outback a few inches and have heard that Impreza suspension should be a bolt in job to lower it however the part I'm not sure about is what year Impreza to get suspension for. I have a 1999 outback which I believe is a gen2 in Australia? (Please correct if wrong) so what year Impreza suspension should I get?

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Mitch

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
yep, a aussie 1999 is a BH boddy. and on this board that is Gen2 2000-2004. and I moved your thread to that section.

on other boards that would be a gen3 as they include the 1990-94 legacy as gen1.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
Same gen Legacy parts will be bolt on and the easiest thing to obtain.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,464 Posts
Legacy struts will lower it a little less than 2". Lower than that and you want to go with lowering springs. I used Legacy struts and HR Sport springs for a Legacy and got an overall drop of just shy of 5". I had to use Legacy top hats as the legacy springs are narrower than the Outback.

Also, Megan Racing has a rear lateral arm kit that allows for full adjustment of toe and camber on the rear wheels. It also tightens up the grip. The front won't be an issue with camber since the factory camber bolts will allow for enough adjustment.

On my "sleeper vdc" pages I have pics of the car progressing from normal, to Legacy height, to current so you can see the differences. I also have pics here: Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums - cardoc's Album: Subarcharged .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. Going to pickup a set of suspension from a liberty wagon early next week. Currently running 17" WRX (2003) mags so hoping looks decent after. Will post pic once it's all together. @cardoc will I have to replace the whole arm to get camber control on rear? I thought Whiteline sold a camber Bolt kit. To be completely honest I haven't had a very good look into the camber kits yet will have to do some research. Any info on camber in rear would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mitch

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
What WhiteLine sells is a camber bushing to replace the outer bushing with a eccentric bushing so the camber can be dialed independently of the toe setting.

I have the bushing on both of my lowered Gen3 OBs, they are cheap and effective.

·
Premium Member
16,464 Posts
The Megan Racing kit replaces the two lateral arms. The lower one that controls toe setting, and the kit arm is straight, not curved improving stability, and the upper arm, again made straight, that connects to the upper spindle bushing. A camber kit for the rear spindle may give you enough camber adjustment. The rear is spring supported shock so you won't have to worry much if you aren't lowering it to the extreme. I didn't add in the Megan Racing kit until I put in the HR springs.

https://www.importimageracing.com/collections/lateral-links

There are plenty of sites that sell the kits, so you would just have to look around and see what, if anything, fits your needs. If you are just going with the Legacy setup, see how it sits after an alignment.

·
Registered
2004 Outback H4 4EAT
5 Posts
I just finished this same project, here is what I did:

Legacy Rear Upper Arms & Bump Stops (junkyard)
H&R Springs- 29443
Sensen Struts F/R
Whiteline adjustable camber bushing (rear outer)-KCA399
Front Impreza upper spring seat & upper rubber mount- Subaru Part# 20323FA000

My alignment settings after were:

0* Toe (all around)
-1.2* Front L/R wheels (stock camber bolts)
-3.2* Both Rear wheels

The rear end sagged really bad after this swap/ drop. The Whiteline KCA399 rear adjustable camber bushing was maxed out. I added 1 1/4" stacked HDPE Spacers to the rear strut tops to raise the back up to where I thought it should be. I haven't had an alignment since I added the spacers, but the rear camber visually to me looks way better- probably in the 2* range now, and the car sits level.

Cardoc- (or anyone else) Did you need spacers on your rear struts? In all my research for this mod I never saw anyone have to use spacers.

Cloud269-I haven't noticed extra camber wear in the rear (yet). If you want the best handling and adjustability you should get the adjustable rear toe and camber arms discussed above. You'll really be able to dial in the camber you want, not what you're stuck with. If/ When I wear out my rear tires I'll buy the Megan arms.

Big THANKS! to Cardoc and TraildogCK for all the info in these forums!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,464 Posts
No spacers. My alignment:

Tow in "0.0" all 4
Front Camber -0.6 (I can adjust it to positive if I wanted with the factory bolts)
Rear Camber -0.4 (due to the Megan Racing kit)

I gave the alignment guy these specs a few weeks ago (I don't have a rack in my shop - yet) specifically to let me take the curved ramps tighter/faster >:) (Anyone in Austin knows the Mopac to 183 North and the South ramps). Pretty much, I can adjust everything except Caster (steering inclination). Plus it handles like a sports car. I also believe the only front strut bar (I had a heck of a time finding one that fit the Outback) I found out of Japan, and the Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar helped with the handling. Whiteline BSR49XZ - Whiteline Sway Bars - FREE SHIPPING!

This says it fits an 01 VDC https://whitelineperformance.com/collections/all/products/ksb550-strut-brace

Amazing the stuff that's available easily AFTER I'm done. :|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.