Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
outback 2.5L 5 speed wintergreen
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order kyb gr-2 struts and shocks for my 2002 outback. Should I also order new springs even though I'm only looking to lower it 1.5 inches or so??? Would it effect anything or would the car be fine with the stock springs?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,448 Posts
I kept the stock Outback springs with the Legacy struts. It lowered 1.75". No handling issues. Just be sure to reset the lower control arm bushings for the new angles and get an alignment after the installation.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,448 Posts
Cardoc when you say "reset the lower control arm bushings for the new angle" what are you saying to do?
With shorter struts, the lower control arm pitches up toward the body. The lower bushing will need to be loosed and reset just like if it had the Outback struts in it and you replaced the bushing.

If its not on an alignment rack with turn plates, loosen the bushing, push the car forward and backward a few times on level ground while jouncing it to make sure the wheels are settled in a neutral position, then retighten.

On an alignment rack with the wheels on the turn plates, loose the bushing, jounce the car hard, retighten.

Then do the alignment correcting camber and toe.

Its to make sure the bushing isn't in a stress position with the new angle. Mine shifted just a tad after swapping the struts. But a tad is a lot when it comes to suspension angles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts