Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i no options
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the torque specs on the bolts for the lp adventure skid plate or any instructions for that matter. So far not liking the fact of removing bolts for major components just to change the oil, and yes if I do install I will cut a hole. Also it looks like I will be losing over an inch of ground clearance with the plate.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
Want to trade for my primitive front and rear?

I believe the torque is around 14 ft lbs from memory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be up for the trade ...my skid plate is still in the protective foam and wrapping . Also it bolts through the front subframe and rear bolts through a arm bushing mount .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wife called lp adventure this morning and was very nice she said. And the guy said to just " tighten " the bolts, not to over do it. So 14# sounds about right.
Also does anyone have any pros and cons over lp and primitive racing skid plates, looking back wishing I went with the two piece primitive to match their rear diff cover I bought.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 Limited CVT, 2-3" ADF lift, and more
47 Posts
Love my LP plate, for the coverage and one pieceness (new word) of it. That is also perhaps its one drawback. Not as easy to drop if you need to do oil change or work under there. I did drill about a two inch hole under oil drain, and installed Fumoto valve drain plug so I don't have to drop it. (measure, measure, measure on that cut!) I do like to visually inspect things at least every oil change, which now I can't do easily. That may be one pro to the Primitive set up using two separate plates for motor and tranny. Also, the rally washers LP offers to protect the bolt heads are almost a must add I think, I suppose somewhat depending on the degree of off-roading you do. But that unfortunately adds a significant cost, for washers. I really think they should include them. I may try to fabricate something myself...

To be clear, I don't have regrets, think the LP is awesome! But these are two things if I had known beforehand that *might* have affected my choice. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
3 Posts
I just installed my LP Adventure skid plate a couple of days ago. I was very torn between the LP and the Primitive. Some of it came down to money. I have noticed in the last couple of months that Primitive and ADF have increased their prices, some significantly. It was less expensive to purchase the LP and ship it from Canada than it was to purchase the Primitive setup and ship it from Oregon. (???) The cost was almost double shipping from Oregon. Even if I dropped the rear differential guard, it was only $30 cheaper than getting the LP plate. It was worth that to not have a gap between the plates. Whether it helps or not, it makes me feel better, mostly because my luck does suck from time to time. LOL! I did cut a 2.5" hole in my plate to access my oil drain valve.

I will measure the ground clearance when I can get on pavement and think about it. Either way, I'm pretty happy with it so far. My intention is to not have to use it, but feces occurs.

UPDATE: Using a not-so-precise method, it looks like the distance from the lowest point of the LP Adventure skid plate to the ground is ~7.5".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup skid plate still leaning against wall in garage. going to drill hole for oil drain valve. i just like looking at it when i pull into the garage. went full primative on my crosstrek. wish i went lp.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Slate Gray 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
49 Posts
Love my LP plate, for the coverage and one pieceness (new word) of it. That is also perhaps its one drawback. Not as easy to drop if you need to do oil change or work under there. I did drill about a two inch hole under oil drain, and installed Fumoto valve drain plug so I don't have to drop it. (measure, measure, measure on that cut!) I do like to visually inspect things at least every oil change, which now I can't do easily. That may be one pro to the Primitive set up using two separate plates for motor and tranny. Also, the rally washers LP offers to protect the bolt heads are almost a must add I think, I suppose somewhat depending on the degree of off-roading you do. But that unfortunately adds a significant cost, for washers. I really think they should include them. I may try to fabricate something myself...

To be clear, I don't have regrets, think the LP is awesome! But these are two things if I had known beforehand that *might* have affected my choice. Hope that helps.

I have access to a machine shop and would be willing to machine some washers for you (or anybody else who wants them). I can turn those up in no time. I plan to install the big skid plate when I get the chance. So I will certainly be making some for myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been off the forum for awhile, busy time of year for me, so I just saw this!

That would be awesome if this is still a possibility! Please let me know, here or PM, if you would still be willing and able. I would be happy to compensate.

Thanks!

I have access to a machine shop and would be willing to machine some washers for you (or anybody else who wants them). I can turn those up in no time. I plan to install the big skid plate when I get the chance. So I will certainly be making some for myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think it would work greast for sand

·
Registered
59 Posts
I need to cut a hole in mine also! Let me know your measurements, that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,780 Posts
There are three factors that affect ground clearance on an empty car:

--skid plates: yes, Primitive's costs 0.5-0.6" not counting the bolt heads.
--tires: you won't believe how much smaller tires get over time until you measure them
--suspension: this will take a lot longer to show.

So, yes, 7.5" of real life clearance to skid plates on a stock car sounds right.

It is no different with 4x4s. I went from a paper 9.6" clearance on the 4Runner to real life 8.5" with 3/16 steel skids.

Actually, the paper Subaru clearance is true on a new vehicle, but it is not on a 4Runner, which is never more than 9.2" to the oil pan skid plate on both the Sr5 I rented and the TRD I bought. Otoh, the mpg calculator on the 4R is spot on, whereas on all Subarus it is overly optimistic...

Never had issues with the gap between front and mid Primitive plates. The front is super easy to remove, the transmission one takes time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Totally interested in rally washers!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depends on your beach! :smile2: I will say I had one of the biggest hits ever while driving on padre island national seashore beach. but that was due to lots of debris and I misjudged the height of something. You sure know when the skidplate is there when you hear the bell ring! but thats why I say it depends on your beach...

Wonder how much I need one of these for beach sand.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I notice the LP skid plate is available with Holes. I'm in the market for a Outback with the 3.6, so just doin a bit of browsing. The picture shows 3 holes. Since I don't have a car yet, what do those holes allow you to access? Also, they say the plate is compatible with both the 4 or 6 cylinder? Anyone mount their on a 3.6?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i am deciding between the two... but why would you want to cut holes? Isn't that spots for things to snag and jam into what you are protecting?

I like the long single sheet because the two piece leaves space for things to get jammed...

leaning to the lp with no holes... it's 14# of torque...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts