Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to anyone who may be thinking about purchasing an LP Aventure skid plate and does not want the one that attaches to the front bumper guard accessory.
I don't have that accessory but was assured by LP that they had a plate that works without the bumper guard.
I installed the skid plate on my 2017 Outback which also has a 2 inch LP lift kit.
Drove the car in the snow for the first time this winter. The 2 inch lift is exceptional! The extra clearance make the car a dream to drive in deep snow.

I digress. The skid plate SUCKS. I had my reservations about how it would function in the snow but thought that a company in Canada wouldn't design a plate that would not handle snow.

Boy was I wrong.
The entire bottom of the engine compartment filled up with snow all the way up to the fan belts!! If I hadn't stopped to have a look and see how it was working out heaven only knows what might have happened with more snow getting packed in. Took 3/4's of an hour and a big stick to break up the compacted snow. FFS.

Looks like it's off to the machine shop to spend $$ to fix an inexcusable design issue on a $600 skid plate.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,566 Posts
Hello to anyone who may be thinking about purchasing an LP Aventure skid plate and does not want the one that attaches to the front bumper guard accessory.
I don't have that accessory but was assured by LP that they had a plate that works without the bumper guard.
I installed the skid plate on my 2017 Outback which also has a 2 inch LP lift kit.
Drove the car in the snow for the first time this winter. The 2 inch lift is exceptional! The extra clearance make the car a dream to drive in deep snow.

I digress. The skid plate SUCKS. I had my reservations about how it would function in the snow but thought that a company in Canada wouldn't design a plate that would not handle snow.

Boy was I wrong.
The entire bottom of the engine compartment filled up with snow all the way up to the fan belts!! If I hadn't stopped to have a look and see how it was working out heaven only knows what might have happened with more snow getting packed in. Took 3/4's of an hour and a big stick to break up the compacted snow. FFS.

Looks like it's off to the machine shop to spend $$ to fix an inexcusable design issue on a $600 skid plate.
SO-Buyer beware.
Photos would be appreciated! I'm curious about a front gap that let snow in and how it packed your engine bay.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
124 Posts
I know the issue Hamster's referring to.

If you look at the area in front of the skid plate, there's a gap between the front bumper & the plate. I believe the OEM plastic skid plate covers this portion, but is removed when the plate is installed. This isn't limited to the LP Aventure skid plate, other designs also require the removal of the old plate.

There are a few solutions to this: You can attempt to modify the OEM skid plate to fill the gap, purchase an aftermarket solution, such as the Primitive Racing Snow Shield or the LP Aventure Guard w/Full Armor Option, or replace/trim the front bumper, getting rid of the gap.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,657 Posts
I know the issue Hamster's referring to.

View attachment 500981

If you look at the area in front of the skid plate, there's a gap between the front bumper & the plate. I believe the OEM plastic skid plate covers this portion, but is removed when the plate is installed. This isn't limited to the LP Aventure skid plate, other designs also require the removal of the old plate.

There are a few solutions to this: You can attempt to modify the OEM skid plate to fill the gap, purchase an aftermarket solution, such as the Primitive Racing Snow Shield or the LP Aventure Guard w/Full Armor Option, or replace/trim the front bumper, getting rid of the gap.
So, there you go OP you now have 3 ”solutions” identified. Pick one or I’ll happily trade you my Primitive Skid and snow shield for your LP.

We tend to want to scoop up the “snow” in Miami 😉

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So, there you go OP you now have 3 ”solutions” identified. Pick one or I’ll happily trade you my Primitive Skid and snow shield for your LP.

We tend to want to scoop up the “snow” in Miami 😉
Thanks for the input. Mutsuraboshi. And thanks for posting the photo. I would have been under the car on my back to take a photo. Plus it's a much better shot with it on a lift.

One important thing I keep coming across on forums concerning the LP "Guard with full armor"- the car loses 1-1/2 inches of ground clearance. Not looking to Mad Max my Sub anyway. But they do look cool and the extra protection would be good.
And thanks for the Primitive link. Did not know they offered that. I'll check with them but I would think that it's a specific part for their plates.

Heading to the fabricator today to see about a fix for the gap.
Don't imagine it will be a hard fix but hoping it's reasonable cost wise.
I'll post photos when I do.

Having the open front of the plate on a FLA car must help keep the engine cooler?
btw MiamiC70 -Scoop snow in Miami. Priceless!

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
222 Posts
I have the LP Bumper Guard with Full Armor.

I've since been on a trail which would likely have torn the front bumper off of my Outback had that bumper guard not been there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the LP Bumper Guard with Full Armor.

I've since been on a trail which would likely have torn the front bumper off of my Outback had that bumper guard not been there.
The fix for the shitty LP Aventure skidplate. Now the rocks/mud/branches and snow don't go into the engine compartment.
1 Hour. One 18 year old with welding skills. $100
The fact that I had to have this done to a $600 plate irks me to no end.
If I had wanted to lose 1-1/2 inches of ground clearance I may have considered one of the guards. But I didn't put a 2 inch lift on just to turn around and lose 1-1/2".
Disappointed to say the least.
I'll be posting a photo of the rear diff cover soon. It packs so tightly with snow that I needed a broom handle and a pressure washer to unpack it.
I live in Canada. The company is in Canada. What gives?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts