Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I have searched around to look for answers and a few threads have helped me out but hasn’t answered my question. Currently, I have the small LP bumper and had to remove the old stock skid plate from underneath. Now, it’s just raw underneath.. I’m looking for a upgrade and wasn’t sure if i should go with the LP full skid which is pricey or the two piece Primitive? I won’t be doing any intense off roading just trails here and there with some small ruts and mediocre rocks. Currently I don’t have a lift and it’s on stock wheels. I plan on doing both of them in the future.

Two of my main concerns are first, i’m not sure if the Primitive would even fit with my LP bumper guard? Looking at pictures from online i would say it would. And second, i noticed there will be a gap between the bumper guard and skid plate. Now, Primitive sells a piece that compensates for this gap but im not 100% sure it would work with my LP bumper and LP skids if i went that route. After contacting LP they do not offer a piece for that gap. I’m just nervous that the gap might be a issue later down the road if i left it open. I haven’t heard anyone that has the LP bumper and used the Primitive skids yet, any help would be appreciated. Primitive seems like a better option, cheaper and has a piece that compensates for the gap. But i’m stuck here. yea

This being my first post. I would like to say i’m happy to be a part of a great group of people and look forward to hearing from all you. I appreciate the help so far. Currently, I am deployed and been trying to do research on this type of stuff so i can order some goodies. I’m just looking forward to coming home and having a little project that gives me the option to go out and explore.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Hopefully you're talking about a Gen 5 Outback. I googled LP Bumper and all I got was an Australian vinyl record. For the luddites, What's LP? Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully you're talking about a Gen 5 Outback. I googled LP Bumper and all I got was an Australian vinyl record. For the luddites, What's LP? Welcome aboard.

Sorry, yes i’m talking about the Gen 5 Outback. LP is the company that’s based out of Canada which make different products for different Subaru’s. Here’s there link to their site, they also show some of the builds. https://lpaventure.com

But ahh ok thanks for the help. I’ll keep searching then.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i no options
35 Posts
i am going to say no, i have lp plate waiting to go on my 18 outback and i read "some where" that the two "kinda" work together.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Interesting that they don't offer the full armor option for the small bumper. I have it on my large bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am going to say no, i have lp plate waiting to go on my 18 outback and i read "some where" that the two "kinda" work together.
Thanks for the response. So i contacted primitive about the concern and they got back and said their plates would work with the structure of the lp small bumper. Hmmmm i’m not sure what i’m going to do yet. Like i said the LP would leave a gap between the skid and bumper. Just seems a little sketchy. But the LP skid seems like it angled up but doesn’t cover that gap any. Can you post some pics when you get yours together?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting that they don't offer the full armor option for the small bumper. I have it on my large bumper.

Right, i’m surprised. I have contacted them about it and they said they made a 100 but that was it. And a custom one would be expensive if they made one for me. Yours looks awesome, i wish they did the same set up for the small bumper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm Justin and new here as well.
I have the same exact concern/question as the OP.
LP seems great, but the price is a HUGE difference. Especially if you HAVE to go with everything LP if you have anything from them.
My preferred set-up is:
*LP Large Bumper Guard.
*LP Full Armor Option.
*PR Front Skid Plate, Rear Skid Plate, Slip Diff Cover.
Open to suggestions on 1 1/2" - 2" lift products. Wheels and tires as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, I'm Justin and new here as well.
I have the same exact concern/question as the OP.
LP seems great, but the price is a HUGE difference. Especially if you HAVE to go with everything LP if you have anything from them.
My preferred set-up is:
*LP Large Bumper Guard.
*LP Full Armor Option.
*PR Front Skid Plate, Rear Skid Plate, Slip Diff Cover.
Open to suggestions on 1 1/2" - 2" lift products. Wheels and tires as well.
everything I have read looks like the LP front and skid plate are fine... then going with the primitive diff and tranny covers... in the end you are looking at a LOT of cash ... I was hoping primitive would release a bumper guard like they have in the images on the site (for their rock skids)

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, LP's skid plate provides the coverage of the Primitive Skid plate and tranny cover...so pricing isn't that different between the two options when you take that into consideration. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I do not think LP's skid plate and the Primitive mid-armor will be compatible.

I ended up going with LP for everything (lift, skid plate, diff cover, subframe support skid plates, diff breather), as I knew I wanted their canister filter relocation kit anyway. They were very responsive to my inquiries, shipped extremely quickly, and even got on the case when it looked like there might be a customs issue as well...ordered Monday, received Friday. I've been quite happy so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this thread is a year old but I just bought the primitive skid plates for my 2016 Outback and am wondering if anyone has any experience re their compatibility with the LP Adventure bumper guard (the smaller one). LP suggested its been done but unclear with how much grief/mods/expense. If anyone has done this, I'd be curious to hear how it went... Thanks!

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,063 Posts
That makes two of us as my Primitive skids are on the way. I refused to pay 2x the price for LP once you factor in shipping.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
71 Posts
I have a related question: Has anyone put the LP bumper guard on their 5th gen and then taken a hit? How did it fare?

I'm looking at buying a 6th gen OB, but my biggest hesitation is the shallow approach angle by comparison to a 4Runner, and I feel like that concern would go away if I could protect the front lip . . . with a product like the LP one.

I'm also wondering if anyone has been using an alternative bull bar or bumper guard for their 5th gen and how that has performed when taking hits. The LP product for the 5th gen is about $1,000 (although that price may be in Canuck bucks, I should check on that), so alternatives to consider would be good.

Thanks for any input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts