Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucas fuel treatment does not appear good for 2012 Subaru Outback!!!
I have 8000 miles on a new 2012 outback .... 2.5l
On a interstate trip I added 6 oz Lucas fuel treatment to a full tank of gas.
Figuring it was a good opportunity to clean up the injectors on a high speed 7.5 hour trip.

Driving all interstate 72 to 77 mph on cruise control.
My normally great " 28/31" mpg highway milage was dropped to 25 mpg and was heading lower during the 1st leg of the trip at the half tank mark?

I called the Subaru dealer to inquire why my "cruse milage" should get suddenly worse than my "around town milage" on this trip?
He said:
Bad gas or some fuel treatments can cause the computer to possibly miss read the sensors just as leaded gas would also do, causing the problem...

I am still on the trip and pray I do not have to replace or have the sensors cleaned ....when I return.
I filled up to dilute the the 1st tank and did get back to 26 mpg at my arrival point.

Lucas should have a warning label to avoid such problem on newer electronic fuel injector systems.

I sent an email to "Lucas" and they have not yet responded.

Anyone else have a similar problem ?
Tony

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
If you are using decent gasoline, there's absolutely no reason to use any gas additive (especially with only 8k miles on the odometer). Also, I'm not a fan of any Lucas product. Never seen any substantive proof that their additives do anything productive.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Unlikely it's due to the Lucas additive. Mileage can vary for a variety of reasons, wind, gas, driving speed, driving over mountains, load in the vehicle, shifting, letting a car idle, warm up, tire pressures...

How new is your engine - are you still in the break-in period where mileage is below average?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I've been using Lucas products for years in both my Subaru and my Pontiacs. Never an issue in either one. I use the fuel treatment/upper cylinder lubricant and synethetic Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer at every oil change. I like their products quite a bit, I've been using them since I worked in auto parts. Never had a complaint from a customer, either.

That being said I really doubt that the fuel treatment alone would affect your fuel economy like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm ..Thanks ... so maybe the computer is acting up?
Like I said 8k on engine ...
Last trip (FL to SC), while engine just past break in gave 27.8 milage ...
Normal Daily drive locally we have been very pleased getting 25.5 to 26 mpg ...

I was expecting 29 to 31 mpg this trip on the open road now that the engine is loose and 2nd lube w full synthetic oil ... but when I saw the milage getting worse on the open road ...? I called the dealer ... who blamed the gas or the fuel treatment ... of course with the standard disclaimer ... "we don't know" till you bring it in to be checked ...
hmmm

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I wonder, was the actual mpg down or just the reading on the display? Did you calculate it by hand also?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes a hard real Number calculation gave me avery low 20 mpg over the 350 mile I-95 drive ....... the worst milage i ever have calculated since i purchased the OB

by the 3rd tank of fuel I was getting back towards my normal 25+mpg around town

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts