Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 2019 3.6R. My wheel lug nuts look like this

Because of this round top I am unable to install lug nut clamps for my tire chains. Could you recommend lug nuts that are entirely hexagonal please? I need two -- one per each of the front wheel.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,844 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the page, today I learned something :)
If I understand you and the page correctly, I don't need ET. Acorn seat should be fine, but the clamp needs to be able to get contact with the hexagonal surface of lug nuts.

So, any conical M12 x 1.25 19mm hex lug nuts should do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to use this type of chains on a Volvo which had hexagonal nuts/bolts so that was never a problem

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,844 Posts
So, any conical M12 x 1.25 19mm hex lug nuts should do?
It looks like item (3) in the diagram you supplied indeed threads into the top of the exposed threads of the lug nut. So yes, it has to be a conical M12 x 1.25 19 mm hex, but beyond that, the length can also matter. And the three critical parameters to consider here are:
1. Length of exposed stud from your wheel
2. Length that the clamping sleeve extends the attachment outward
3. Length of the distance bolt

I don't have any idea what items (2) and (3) on this list amount to; I would contact the tire chain manufacturer. And I also note the screen capture image has a Union Jack on it, so you had better double-check item (1) with someone like @Greenmamba or @scalman, who own Japanese built Euro-spec Outbacks.

This chain system was likely designed around that car, not the Lafayette built US-Canada models.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD 5eat , 2'' lift
1,390 Posts
Would those kind do better? Those are with cover there can be one ones too if you need that kinda foe those chains

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD 5eat , 2'' lift
1,390 Posts
Yep, this one looks good. What’s the brand? The ones I ordered on Amazon might be too tall...
dont tink they have any brand , just some cheap ones that our local shops selling . but just look for shorter ones if you think you need shorter, im sure amazon have them different lenght.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts