Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT FIX: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/64202-diy-gen-4-lumbar-suppport-fix.html#post642618

Got in the OB this am and drove 4 blocks on my way to work and then POW! My lumbar balloon exploded with startling bang.:mad:

My OB has slightly over 40K miles on her. Anyone else have the lumbar cushion explode under normal use?:confused:

As quoted the balloon is way too pricey to fix ($400-$600 for the part plus labor). The compressor should be fine.

Hopefully SOA will step up and show goodwill on the comfort feature. The cushion is always kept inflated and never tweeked with only 2 years and 4 months of service since purchase new.

Service Manager at the good local dealer will call SOA on Monday to see what they are willing to do.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I think you are mistaken, it's the lumbar airbag that deployed.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
I am totally confused about what happened. A couple pictures would help. Where is the compressor you talk about located?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I am totally confused about what happened. A couple pictures would help. Where is the compressor you talk about located?
I think you are right, the lumbar is actually wires that tighten around a motor.
Bet a wire came loose, EZ fix... just remove the rear panel of the seatback.
more
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/46296-lumbar-support-failed-blew-out-my-back.html
and
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/37132-2010-subaru-outback-lumbar-support-fix.html

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I think you are right, the lumbar is actually wires that tighten around a motor.
Bet a wire came loose, EZ fix... just remove the rear panel of the seatback.
Or the S hook broke... or both

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
there is no Bag for lumbar support. There is a cable, Motor and a hook, and the support pad ( a metal frame) The attachment hook breaks, Currently the parts are not available separtely, Hence the high repair cost (you have to buy the seat back frame set) however a decent upholstery shop can open the back of the seat, and replace the hook with a short 3 link chain made of Hog rings. This should restore the operation at a minimum of cost. I have made this repair in less than an hour with removing the seat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bunch of folks over on legacygt.com have had the s-hook break - here's a thread with a DIY repair (if you are out of warranty)
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-lgt-broken-lumbar-177986.html?t=177986
Big Help DR. D. If SOA won't fix it then I will. Very helpful response. I had a compressor in my F-150 that blew up a cushion and judging from the sound I thought this was the same especially considering it snapped or blew when I puched back on the seat.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no Bag for lumbar support. There is a cable, Motor and a hook, and the support pad ( a metal frame) The attachment hook breaks, Currently the parts are not available separtely, Hence the high repair cost (you have to buy the seat back frame set) however a decent upholstery shop can open the back of the seat, and replace the hook with a short 3 link chain made of Hog rings. This should restore the operation at a minimum of cost. I have made this repair in less than an hour with removing the seat.

Thanks. Very helpful. Will use your DIY pointers if SOA won't DIForME.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fix

Dealer originally was going to charge $600 but dropped the price to $250.

Thanks to the link above from the Legacy site, the actually fix cost $4 dollars and 15 minutes install time.

Several DIYs are actually on this site, but the pics are kind of hard to follow.

A screwdriver for the seatback screws is all you need.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Dealer originally was going to charge $600 but dropped the price to $250.

Thanks to the link above from the Legacy site, the actually fix cost $4 dollars and 15 minutes install timeSeveral DIYs are actually on this site, but the pics are kind of hard to follow.

A screwdriver for the seatback screws is all you need.

Nice pics. I linked the post for when/if mine breaks. A bit OT but do you recall if the seat back is symmetrical? Could the two front seat backs be swapped? I'd love to swap the drivers for another with netting.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
600 bucks for that? dealers are crazy.

I've been tempted to just swap the S hooks for piece of mind.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if the weakest link has been improved in the 14s? Those crap s hooks were not up to the task.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
LMFAO - $250 for 15 minutes of time and a few screws.

I'm clearly in the wrong business - thanks for posting up the pics, I'll be bookmarking this thread for when it does eventually happen to me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Now THIS is why I love these forums!

Need a lumbar fix myself and my stealership wanted $750!

Thanks, I will do this fix this weekend.

UPDATE: did it, was so easy and it too 20 minutes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts