Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
661 Posts
another NC person here.. I keep my AC fan on bar #3 with temp @ 71F, and yes, we had a nasty hot June/July ... but I haven't noticed this on mine... then again, I only have 2 lights on my commute, so I wouldn't have that many opportunities to encounter it on the drive home after the car has been baking outside all day. Definitely glad Subaru offers the cloth seats.

Best of luck getting yours diagnosed and fixed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, after 4 days in the shop...I got my car back this morning. The service manager says they "think" they fixed the problem, but only time will tell. They drove it for several days and were able to replicate the problem. They also sent info to the engineer at Subaru. Their guestimate was that the slip on the driveshaft either was not lubricated enough, or the factory lubrication was breaking down in the hot climate. He advised that the exhaust is right under the driveshaft and with Charlotte's hot weather lately, it's a possibility the factory either didn't put enough lube on or they've got a bad batch. He advised he's had a few other customers complain of these issues but it was on a previous generation Outback and the current generation Crosstrek.

They were extremely helpful (Subaru South Blvd) and gave me my oil change for free because of the issue. They said if the problem happens again to bring the car back and they'll have the engineer come to the dealership to investigate. They also said they'd provide a free rental car while the engineer had my vehicle.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited
46 Posts
I too am having the same problem (see above). Dealer could not replicate. Whenever I hear improper or insufficent lubrication I get concerned! What exactly did your dealer do ? So I can advise my dealer when I bring my car in again. Also what's your dealer's name again so I can advise my dealer and ask him to contact someone with knowledge of the problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So the dealer said they put new lubricant where the slip meets the driveshaft. Unfortunately, the problem started happening again today. I'm taking it back to the dealership. I'm going to PM you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I have a 2015 2.5 Limited. On at least a handful of occasions, I've had the sudden lurch forward while sitting at a traffic light. It feels EXACTLY like you've been rear-ended. I looked back each time and it frankly startled me each time.

I did not, however, notice the drop in RPMs just before. It's possible it has done that, but all I recall is the jump. I have an appointment Friday for my second service (I have about 11,500 miles on it) and will ask them to look into it. It sure doesn't seem normal.

If anyone else has had any further experience with this or a dealer fix, please let us know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As it has done this more and more...I've noticed that the RPMS aren't really dropping that much...or aren't the cause of the lunge. I believe that when the car jumps forward, it takes some of the engine power away to move the car, causing a very minimal drop in RPMs. I started to pay more attention after this originally happens and it appears the RPMs only drop about 50. The needle barely moves. PM me your contact info and I'll give it to my dealer. Maybe our dealerships can collaborate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone else has experienced this. It has been unusually hot here in North Carolina the past month with temperatures over 100 for weeks straight. I've noticed that when it is above 95 degrees and I have the A/C on...the car's RPMs will drop about 100rpms after stopping for about 15-20 seconds causing the vehicle to sputter like it is going to stall. It also causes the car to jerk forward and feels like someone has rear-ended me. The car catches itself and readjusts the RPM's almost instantaneously to prevent the stall, but its very annoying. It happens pretty much at every stoplight.

I called the service adviser who stated he would ask his techs if anyone else has reported this issue. So far, no call back. This has happened 4 to 5 times now on separate driving occasions. It goes in for it's 6k service soon, so I'm going to have them check it out then.

Any ideas? I have the 2.5 base model.
My 2015 Outback does a similair action only not anywhere as bad. The dealer just did a computer update after finding a Tech Tip dealing with idle fluctuation. It seems to still drop the idle RPM so I'm not sure the new programming did much, but you might request your dealer do it. My idle drops to a little over 600RPM and I get a very slit rough idle (my wife doesn't even notice it) so it is no where near as bad as what you are saying. I can live with it.

·
Registered
2016 Twi-Blue/Ivory OB 3.6R
238 Posts
The "LURCH".

When my 2016 3.6R is COLD I will get some "lurching" in either drive or reverse. For instance, sometimes I park in the driveway to let the vehicle cool off on a hot day. A few hours later I will move it into the garage for the night. As I move into my tight 2 car garage I will feel the OB lurch forward rapidly while my foot is riding the brake pedal. I have to modulate the brake pedal harder to slow the lurch then softer when the lurch dies down. All in twenty feet or so. It has happened several times and the first time caught me off guard a bit. I thought I was going thru the back of the garage for a half second. I am now very wary of the lurch and ride the brake diligently while the vehicle is in the COLD start cycle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear all

I am glad people are having issues with engine idling. Today at Southern California around 75deg at night, I have been driving for the past 2 hours on freeway, jams, heavy acceleration and braking etc, no problem. I then stopped for dinner for about 30mins. Returning to car, started, turn on AC just 2 bar at LO, not even full blast, the car quickly stalled. Yes the engine went dead. Restarted it, turn back on AC, has been ok thus far. This is the first time my engine stalled. I do not expect a 6 months old car with less than 4k mileage to stall, at the very least I'd expect the ECU response fast enough to prevent this stall. Anyone else actually experience stalling when first started and AC on? I suppose since I've been driving for past 2 hours the engine is hot enough that the computer doesn't raise RPM automatically like during cold start to warm up engine, but still, stalling really?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My transmission was actually replaced with a new one. Turns out, it was faulty from the factory. The dealership was great (South Blvd Charlotte) and Subaru of North America reimbursed me a full month's car payment because my car was in the shop so long. Bummer it happened, but it's a machine. They aren't perfect but Subaru's response was on par.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dear all

I am glad people are having issues with engine idling. Today at Southern California around 75deg at night, I have been driving for the past 2 hours on freeway, jams, heavy acceleration and braking etc, no problem. I then stopped for dinner for about 30mins. Returning to car, started, turn on AC just 2 bar at LO, not even full blast, the car quickly stalled. Yes the engine went dead. Restarted it, turn back on AC, has been ok thus far. This is the first time my engine stalled. I do not expect a 6 months old car with less than 4k mileage to stall, at the very least I'd expect the ECU response fast enough to prevent this stall. Anyone else actually experience stalling when first started and AC on? I suppose since I've been driving for past 2 hours the engine is hot enough that the computer doesn't raise RPM automatically like during cold start to warm up engine, but still, stalling really?

I had a similar stalling experience, with just a few hundred miles on my new 2016 OB. The car had been driven about 20 minutes on a hot summer day, and then sat half an hour or so. When it was started, it immediately stalled. I was shocked. When started a second time, it again immediately stalled. The third time it did not stall, and has not stalled since. I'll raise this issue with the dealer's service department on my next visit, and report back what they say.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 2.5
60 Posts
We too have been experiencing the lunge/jerk syndrome here in NJ when stopped at a light.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? We are taking it to the dealership this week. We have a 2016 with 7,000 miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well my 2015 2.5 limited has done this lurching a few times recently, but I can't determine how to replicate it. Did not do it at all in the winter -- only when it's warm. I'm approaching the end of my factory warranty and remain concerned about future issues, as well as the safety aspect.

Curious if anyone is still experiencing this. Each time it does it, it still gives me a start.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
837 Posts
This happens to me on a hot day with my 2016. At a traffic light or when coming to a stop, after about 5 or 15 seconds, I get a big lurch/jerk, as mentioned like someone hit you from behind. RPMs do not change and are steady at regular idle RPM. I'm going to report it to the dealer when I go in for 6k maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem, mine does it with or without the AC or climate control on and in hot and cold weather. This seems like it's normal though because my 15 Outback and 16 Legacy both with the 2.5 do this, RPM drop to about 400 and jump back up. I brought in the Outback and was told its normal, I can't see how this is normal, it's rather unnerving and shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 2.5 here with the same issue. When stopped and brakes applied, car can randomly lurch/jump. Myself and passengers feel the motion. Took it to the dealer but they were unable to replicate the issue. Hoping it's not a transmission issue like OP.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,246 Posts
Rest assured the CVT is not the problem. RPM has to do the power plant electrical, HVAC, fuel etc.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts