Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,666 Posts
... my 15 Outback and 16 Legacy both with the 2.5 do this ... I can't see how this is normal, it's rather unnerving and shouldn't happen.
The odds are infinitesimally small that two different vehicles from two different model years would have the same rare defect. Much more likely it's something you're doing. Have a dealer tech ride with you while you reproduce the problem; maybe he/she will notice something you haven't.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
2016 2.5 here with the same issue. When stopped and brakes applied, car can randomly lurch/jump. Myself and passengers feel the motion. Took it to the dealer but they were unable to replicate the issue. Hoping it's not a transmission issue like OP.
My '16 OB 2.5i Prem started doing this same thing with the sitting still, in gear, foot on brake, nudging forward feeling, yet nobody behind me or around me. Happens independent of A/C compressor I think but not certain on that as it's variable displacement. It's quite odd and unnerving.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
7 Posts
Same thing happens to me: foot on the brake at a stop light, zero MPH, the car will lurch forward just as if someone behind me has hit my car at just a few MPH. I have a 2016 Outback with the 2.5L engine, and I still look up into the rear-view mirror to see if I have actually been hit. It happens more frequently on hot days, and is happening more frequently as the car gets older.

I know this is an old thread, can't wait to find out if more people have had this issue and if there is some resolution. I'm hoping to keep this car forever but the lurching is happening more and more.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
19 Posts
North Carolina here as well with a base model 2.5i. I've not experienced what you're describing in our vehicle. If you removed the phrase "... and feels like someone has rear-ended me" I'd guess that you're sensing the A/C compressor clutch engaging.

If you have your foot on the brake and it still feels like someone has rear-ended you I'd have your dealer inspect things just to make sure it's not a big deal.
It's not the transmission. Happens in my manual shift car too.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
19 Posts
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone else has experienced this. It has been unusually hot here in North Carolina the past month with temperatures over 100 for weeks straight. I've noticed that when it is above 95 degrees and I have the A/C on...the car's RPMs will drop about 100rpms after stopping for about 15-20 seconds causing the vehicle to sputter like it is going to stall. It also causes the car to jerk forward and feels like someone has rear-ended me. The car catches itself and readjusts the RPM's almost instantaneously to prevent the stall, but its very annoying. It happens pretty much at every stoplight.

I called the service adviser who stated he would ask his techs if anyone else has reported this issue. So far, no call back. This has happened 4 to 5 times now on separate driving occasions. It goes in for it's 6k service soon, so I'm going to have them check it out then.

Any ideas? I have the 2.5 base model.
I'd be interested to see if you found a fix. My 2012 OB with a six speed manual does it too. At a stop light in neutral the engine will almost stall then surge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but my car is doing this same thing really bad now.
Every time I stop at a stoplight with the AC on and the car warmed up it nearly stalls. The idle drops down and it feels like it’s misfiring so bad the whole car inside shakes.
I don’t understand how this doesn’t throw a CEL because it is so violent.
Has anyone had any luck with the transmission replacement?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but my car is doing this same thing really bad now.
Every time I stop at a stoplight with the AC on and the car warmed up it nearly stalls. The idle drops down and it feels like it’s misfiring so bad the whole car inside shakes.
I don’t understand how this doesn’t throw a CEL because it is so violent.
Has anyone had any luck with the transmission replacement?
I’m going to start with cleaning the EGR and checking for vacuum leaks. Will report back.

Details:2012 Outback, 80k mi, 2nd owner, synthetic oil changes every 4K mi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: I found vacuum leaks and a plugged PCV. I replaced the hoses and the PCV and the idle quality has improved, but not 100%. It still wants to stall at lights, but less often than previously. I may try unplugging battery to reset everything.

I still plan on cleaning EGR.
I will report back.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,978 Posts
it is not uncommon for the A/C compressor to put a heavy load on the car. even with a variable compressor going from 2% to full load is going to drag the engine down at idle.the ECM will compensate by bumping up idle speed.. regardless keep your foot FIRMLY on the brake when stopped and the car will not lurch when you turn it on. When you turn the A/C on the fans will come on and run up to vehicle speeds of roughly 35mph...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update, car was shaking so violently it was nearly undriveable, felt like something in the transmission was breaking when at a stop light with AC on. I cleaned the throttle body and it made it run better, but problem was still there.
Took it to the dealer, and they haven’t been able to figure it out yet.
Will report back.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts