Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 Outback 2.5L DOHC EJ25D. Auto Trans.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

1997 EJ25D with 80K miles. Motor blew, and I rebuilt it. It took several years, though. The original MAF sat on the shelf for a while.

Now I'm trying to break in the engine, and it runs rough. Put my PC scan software on it, and it shows, with key on/engine off a flow rate .75g/s. A flow rate with the engine off?

I've cleaned the MAF before the test, but I'm inclined to declare this one dead.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I think it might be normal. My 07 always shows a "flow" figure with the engine off. There was the subject of discussion here a long time back, with the same conclusion.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,228 Posts
MAF will have power even when engine is off. I would be concerned if it was over reporting nor not consistent in reporting

·
Premium Member
1997 Outback 2.5L DOHC EJ25D. Auto Trans.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MAF will have power even when engine is off. I would be concerned if it was over reporting nor not consistent in reporting
I'm trying to break in the engine, but the crank times are 5 seconds plus, and the idle is all over the place. Fuel pressure checks OK with my hand help gauge. I'm worried about the IAC and I plan to adjust the TPS eventually.

I don't know how old the MAF is, but it may be original. The plastic bits show color fading, and the little screws are rusty.

Right now I'm inclined to put the Hitachi branded (I hope) new one in, taking a chance it won't fix the problem. I may eat several hundred bucks Easter egging more parts. I need to get this vehicle going. May have to sell it soon.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-KB

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,228 Posts
easy enough to clean with MAF cleaner or brake parts cleaner (same stuff)

extended crank is not MAF it is fuel related (building pressure)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts