Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, but not new to Subaru Outbacks. I just bought my second Outback a few weeks ago. I noticed that the mute button had disappeared from the steering wheel and eventually figured out that I needed to tap the volume knob to mute the radio. But today I discovered something much more magical (and kind of annoying...) about this new "mute button". I had been trying to mute the radio during some types of commercials and was puzzled by how LONG the commercials seemed to be lasting. I would wait 60 seconds or more and then tap the volume knob again to bring the sound back up, only to find that the same commercial was STILL GOING. Then I started running some more systematic tests, making mental notes of exactly what was being said when I muted the sound. I discovered that the "mute button" on my new 2018 Subaru Outback works just like the "pause" button on a DVR. When you tap the knob to "un-mute" the sound, the annoying commercial that you were trying to avoid starts right back up where it left off and the radio program that it's embedded in proceeds on a delayed broadcast. If you quickly click away from that radio station and then click back to it, you go back to a "live" broadcast (I verified this a number of times). I'm not sure if this "feature" is noted somewhere in the 3" of manuals I got with the car or not. So much for being able to mute annoying commercials...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts