Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to the exhaust shop. I wanted to try to get a little more flow out of the stock system to help out the supercharger. I also am sick of the Y failing (on the 4th Y now...!).

The new setup is a Bosal Y pipe replacement ($120) with the Y chopped off. Run to a single Magnaflow 11225 straight through muffler ($70) which is 2.25" in/out offset in and straight out. Local shop put it together for me for a reasonable price. It sounds great (NOT obnoxiously loud and no drone!) and my butt dyno says with the supercharger pushing air in, I may get a few HP out of the high flow muffler.

I wasn't actually going for the straight out look (I just forgot to tell them to turn it down) but now I see it, I don't mind it. I think it is actually also helping noise levels...? I'm thinking the turn down might echo off the ground.

Finally, I probably lost 15-20 pounds with this setup (Y, pipe and muffler). I never quite understood why Subaru bothered with the 2 to 1 to 2 setup?

Whether it flows better than stock, is hard to say. I have to think it does with that straight through muffler, again butt dyno says yes :)
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=11225

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention I had them tack up my heat shields... I have a feeling at least some of my knock sensor triggers are caused by one I couldn't seem to get tight even with band clamps.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
How about a video for sound? I'd like to hear it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here you go - I'd say the drone is much more noticeable on the video. It is surprisingly quiet in person.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
You've been hacked. Someone replaced the audio in your video with a recording of a chain saw..... >:)

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Was that a real welder, or just someone with a ladle full of molten steel that they threw at the joints? :)

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was that a real welder, or just someone with a ladle full of molten steel that they threw at the joints? :)

Haha.. he did apologize for his welds. He said he was on his back up welder and he was missing the tip or had the wrong tip or something like that.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
LOL, looks like someone's MIG was down and they used a stick welder.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Good God, a contest to see who can do the best job of making their car sound like a 2 stroke piece of yard equipment....... >:)

Reactions: Richard Pare

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
The supercharged one doesn't sound like a chainsaw. Not to me, and certainly not a leaf blower. I have heard a lot worse. I have an extra stock mid-pipe and I have been thinking hard about running a single on Cherry. I will mostly likely do a Magnaflow muffler, but ... scrapping in a CheryBomb glasspack would live up to her namesake.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha.. I take no offense. A lot of that is probably the camera/microphone placement, it is pretty quiet under normal driving. Just barely any louder than the stock mufflers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts